System Restore Problems

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Cheryl

I am running Windows Vista. I tried to run System Restore to an earlier date yesterday and when it reboots I get a box that says it was not successful (system restore).... that it encountered a problem. What can I do to rectify this problem? Thank you. (P.S. I did go back and selected a different day and I got the same result).

valis

have you tried in safe mode? Frequently that will fix it when trying to restore.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Relying on system restore every time your computer has some little "hiccup" is not the thing to do.

And system restore doesn't always work - as you've already found out.

----------------------------------------------------------------

What problems are you having that's causing you to use system restore?

----------------------------------------------------------------

Cheryl

the problem I am experiencing is when using Windows Mail all of a sudden I can't open a link that someone may have sent me. It says no program associated with it - to set an association in the Control Panel. I use to be able to open anything people would send me and now I can't. I can read their e-mails but not open a link they have forwarded to me.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Not being able to access or open an Email link is definitely not a valid reason to use System Restore.

If links in Email messages are from unknown or unsolicited sources, you need to be real careful about clicking on them because they may contain malicious/infectious code.

If you're receiving them from known people or sources, are they links to certain websites or are they attached photos?

--------------------------------------------------------------

Cheryl

The links to certain websites (i.e. youtube, news articles, etc.) are from trusted people. When I do get something that is suspicious the Windows Mail will automatically notify me and not let me access. I use to be able to open the links but the last few days I can't. A pop-up box that says "this file does not have a program associated with it.for performing this action. Create an association in the Set Associations in the Control Panel.".

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
If they're website links, you should be able to click the links and then the websites should load.

If they're attachments with certain extensions, such as .jpg or .mov or .doc or .txt, you would need to select a specific program to open them.

I'm not there to see what you're receiving, so I can't really walk you through resolving the problem.

---------------------------------------------------------------

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Just read your other thread.

Glad you got your issue resolved. (y)

-----------------------------------------------------------

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online