1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System restore will not restore

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by peharris, Oct 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peharris

peharris Thread Starter

Sorry for the long first post.

Bought this computer used on 10/12/08 . Dell Latitude D820, WinXP SP3. trying to be proactive and not able to determine if I could surf wirelessly I downloaded updates from Windows Update. I was out of town BTW. When I got back to my home desktop computer I which I had a problem with surfing wirelessly anyway. Anyway when I got back I got my problem with my desktop computer fixed by using system restore to restore back before my last Windows update.

I attempted to do this on the Latitude D820 but it will not restore. I can go into system restore, click on the date I want to restore to (yes it shows as a valid restore point), go through the motions to restore of clicking on "next" to start the restore. At that point the hour glass swivels aroud for a while (20-30 sec or so), then it stops and dispears. Nothing happens. I can click on "next" again and the same thing happens but it does not restore.

Why is this? And is there some manual way that I can restore the system?

Thanks, Pat

2. MustBNuts

MustBNuts

You tried to roll it back with restore - but you've only had the machine four days and by the sound of it, you don't know if the restore point had a usable wireless connection...

Did you try to connect to a wireless signal? Unless this machine has a built-in wireless option (which you would have to subscribe to, like Sprint) you can surf wirelessly BUT you have to locate a wireless connection and gain access (Starbucks, for instance, offers free connectivity).

Instead of trying to predict a problem, try to locate a wireless network, connect, and let us know if you have problems.

MBN

PS: I've NEVER used restore points so I wonder what happens if the restore point has no changes from the current system setup? Could it be cancelling the restore because there are no changes?

3. peharris

peharris Thread Starter

MBN

I should have made it more clear; I am wireless at my home. I have been home since Tuesday. Also, I could not connect wirelessly @ my home with my other computer(my desktop) until I restored to the restore points prior my Oct 3 updates. So I can and do surf wireless with the other computer just not this one because I need to restore it to the prior date. The updates that were installed are the problem because they are the same updates that would not allow me to surf wireless with the desktop.

Pat

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/759737

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice