1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

system restore win 98se due to .........

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by ladynimue, Jan 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ladynimue

ladynimue Thread Starter

Hi
    had a disaster this morning printing lable on nero, total crash !Could not get system back on as moniter kept switching off every few minutes therefore it could not run scandisk. tried booting in safe mode, no luck eventually got it back on , crashing every ten mins but uninstalled nero ,still crashing 14 hours later its on but I would like to resore registry to two days ago . how do I do this ,
    this is the longest it has stayed on please help before it crashes again thanks
    ladynimue

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

ladynimue
    Win98SE does not have System Restore but you can do a Scanreg /Restore and hopefully will correct the problem if it is registry related. To do that boot to DOS mode and at C:>Prompt type in the following Scanreg /Restore and then hit enter. Select the date preceeding this event and hit enter.

Note the space between the g and forward slash.

Let us know if that helps.

Dave

3. ladynimue

ladynimue Thread Starter

Hi
    thanks for replying, I have done what you said and computer came back on which is a first all day, my problem now is why did it happen ,nero stopped responing obviously as drive lights constantly were flashing,why did monitor keep going off,can I reinstall nero, I was not even using burning rom only label making part, will it happen again? do you think my pc is fixed ? it
    still has not crashed.

Ladynimue

4. Davey7549

Davey7549

ladynimue
    The label process with Nero should not of caused this event. It sounds more video or possibly Ram related. I would say run without Nero for a bit and see if the event happens again.

Dave

5. ladynimue

ladynimue Thread Starter

Hi
    ok Iwill leave it off for a while, I have 280mb ram should that be a problem? I dont know about video

thanks
    Ladynimue

6. Davey7549

Davey7549

ladynimue
    Amount of RAM would not be the problem it would be a defective chip on a module. However with the monitor reacting the way it was doing make the video portion suspect but those are only guesses. Run it for a day or two and see if further events happen and let us know either way.

If all is well run a through scandisk as well since it cannot hurt anything and only help.

Dave

7. ladynimue

ladynimue Thread Starter

Hi
    all is still running well since system restore, no problems,done system file check which says everything ok done scandisk ,going to try reinstalling nero tomorrow, thanks for help

Ladynimue

8. Davey7549

Davey7549

ladynimue
    Yes keep us posted to your progress and for let us know if Nero creates another event. If it does not then we mark it up to a one time event...... unexplained.

Dave

9. ladynimue

ladynimue Thread Starter

Hi
    I reloaded nero and all seems well, It is working and computer has not crashed. so far so good

Ladynimue

10. Davey7549

Davey7549

ladynimue
    Might of been just an anomaly as I mentioned. Lets hope. Run for a few more days and let us know how its running.

Dave

11. ladynimue

ladynimue Thread Starter

Hi

spoke to soon, started crashing again this afternoon, Got back to the state where monitor would not stay on, Scandisk could not run,eventually got on and uninstalled nero,which didnt help much untill I restored registry. Seems ok now but what is problem with nero? Even when uninstalled its drive light comes on and that is what makes computer crash. I have this idea it could be to do with the way my drives are named, cdrw is drive d and disk drive is e...could this make a difference to copmuter. when I have uninstalled nero, is that why light comes on, does it think disk drive should be d. hope that makes sense,can I change the name of the drives? if so how?

12. Davey7549

Davey7549

ladynimue
    It is highly unusual in my opinion to have your Hard drive assigned a letter after the CDRW drive. Not sure how that could happen. Will have to do a bit of research to find out. I assume the CDRW was recently installed. If so was Slave and Master set properly. Also is your Bios set too auto detect drives?

What exactly is your drive letter sequence?
    "A" = Floppy
    "C" = ?
    "D" = ?
    and so on......

If you let us know maybe they can be resequenced via Device Manager\settings.

Dave

13. ladynimue

ladynimue Thread Starter

Hi
    my rw was insalled in November (about then) and has worked alright since then up till recently. A neighbour put in it for me and he assigned the drive letters to Eand D drives.
    A= floppy
    C= hard drive
    D=rw
    E=disk drive
    I think disk drive should be D although it has worked alright as it is . I have uninstalled it and removed all traces of it, asked computer to find any files and there are none, but untill I restored the reg the drive lights kept flashing and making system crash, they do not come on now, so far anyway

Ladynimue

14. Davey7549

Davey7549

ladynimue
    What is "E" drive actually? Is it another Hard drive or hard drive partition? You stated "C" was a hard drive and "E" was a disk drive.

Dave

15. ladynimue

ladynimue Thread Starter

Hi
    D =new drive put in (cdrw)
    E=disk drive...which used to be called D, I Think

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116177

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice