system restore xp

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

wtxcowboy

was having cursor probs & finally figured it out that it was windowblinds causing the prob, so thought i could fix it with system restore, but that didn't help, so decided to undo the retore. as a result i've lost 5-6% of my space in ntfs??? did the retore & undo create duplicate windows files somewhere? it was at 89% & now it's 83%! it's like i've downloaded a movie or large file & it's eating up the space. Thx in advance...:eek:

Attachments

awalker0878

Removed by request
best option is to disable system restore enable it again that will start restore points from scratch

Just a theory, cause I really don't know. Maybe a lot of your compressed files were uncompressed in this process. There is more to this, I just can't remember it all right now.

for me windowblinds was more a pain than it was worth.
i had it on another machine and it was always causing quirky things...

make sure everything is really ok before you remove all your restore points, if thats the way u go.

wtxcowboy

not gonna remove any restore points, that's not the prob/issue lol. was just curious why when i undid the restore, i lost so much disc space. i've compressed C drive since i undid the restore & that didn't change my % back to what i was used to seeing. oh well :)

wtxcowboy said:
was having cursor probs & finally figured it out that it was windowblinds causing the prob, so thought i could fix it with system restore, but that didn't help, so decided to undo the retore. as a result i've lost 5-6% of my space in ntfs??? did the retore & undo create duplicate windows files somewhere? it was at 89% & now it's 83%! it's like i've downloaded a movie or large file & it's eating up the space. Thx in advance...:eek:
System Restore is not a application removal tool. What happens is, System Restore only removes monitored files for the installed applications and the rest are left behind. This will cause the application not to function. And in some cases, can also cause the uninstall and reinstall process of the partially removed application to fail.

If a newly installed application causes problems it should first be uninstall through Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel, then restore to a point before just before the applicatoin was instlled. Note, any other applications installed after this restore point will also be effected.

As for the free space being taken up, are there any Norton products installed on the system?

wtxcowboy

i realize restore is not a tool as described above, was trying to fix an erratic cursor & figured restoring to a couple weeks ago would solve that prob. had already removed the offending program thru add/remove & rebooted. anyway, no norton products on this pc, Ever LOL!!! :D

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online