system restore

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

vlrbsf

I recently had to use "system restore" but I got an error message stating that my system could not be restored to this date. It was a restore point that I had created. When I tried to use a system restore point I got the same message. Any ideas why this happened? I finally had to use a boot disk to get up and running again.

bassetman

Moderator (deceased) - Gone but never forgotten
Off hand I'd guess that something was corrupted in that/those dates?????

vlrbsf

Bassettman-
At the time I created the restore points (several different) I was having no problems with my computer. I created the points before making any changes to my existing set-up. If there was something corrupt why wouldn't I get an error message? Is there a way to find out if something is corrupt?

bassetman

Moderator (deceased) - Gone but never forgotten
There are pople here that know a lot more about this than I do, I'll let one of them take a stab at this.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

John

vlrbsf
There could be several reasons System Restore was unable to restore back to the date you created and the major one is the Sept 8 2001 fix NotRite gave you. When you incorporate the 290700 fix you will loose all your restore point previously created and a new one will be created. After the fix is done go and manually create a new point and then turn around and actually use the point. If all is well then just monitor a few days and see if SR is automatically creating points.
If you cannot restore back to your newly created manual point then let us know so we can help further otherwise we will wait a few days to see if SR is running automatically.

Dave

vlrbsf,

I'm just another user ofthis forum, but you may want to look at my recent thread on similar problem. Last entry 01/23, problem named "Systen Restore unsuccessful."

sparrownightly

Del

I've noticed that if there were any hardware changes between restore points, it fails; like installing a new NIC or SCSI card. Otherwise it seems to work.

vlrbsf

Thanks for the patch NotRite-and yes, it is Me that I'm using. My problem started after I connected a Brother MFC. I think there's a bad driver in there somewhere cause it made me crash a couple of times. Now although the machine is working one of the software programs does not. Maybe I should delete it?
I'll try the patch now and see what happens. I hope my problem's not as involved as yours, Sparrownightly, 'cause I read your posts from the 23rd and boy! did I get lost!! Davey-I appreciate that little tidbit about the loss of previous restore points-it'll save me some anxiety!

vlrbsf

After downloading the patch I was able to restore but I got a message like this:
BRMECOM

IAM caused an invalid page fault in module IAM.EXE at 018f:0041416a.

I restarted again and got no error messages. Does that mean all is well? I sure hope so!

It was an error in Internet Answering Machine. If it is working as it should (I guess you will have to wait and see), then all is well.

Rollin Rog is correct.....IAM is the internet answering machine program. Callwave. Should be nothing to worry about unless it keeps happening. In that case perhaps uninstalling and then reinstalling the program usually cures such problems.

Good Luck!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online