1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System Restore

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by finleyjt, Jan 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. finleyjt

finleyjt Thread Starter

I've been trying to figure out why I can't Restore my System to 12/31/02 (before a software patch that seems to be causing my computer to freeze). I've been unable to get back before 01/20/03 and think, with great dismay, I've found the answer via a link from this forum; it's to Microsoft and says:

"How does an improper shutdown affect System Restore?

Answer: If an improper shutdown happens and a restore is done to a point before the improper shutdown, there is a small possibility that such a restore might fail, due to the fact that some file operations might not have been logged properly by System Restore at the time of the improper shutdown. If the restore fails, the system will be in the same state as before the restore was initiated."

Am I stuck? If I could only get back but now everything before the 20th fails to be restored. The problem (computer completely freezing) started right after I installed a security patch update of Macromedia Flash to v.6.0.65 (I believe). With complete freezes, I had no choice but to improperly shut down and now I wish to uninstall the forementioned update. I'm getting frozen out 5-10 times a week.

Can anyone help?
    I'm running a DELL Dimension 8100 / P4 / 1.3 Gig / 256 MB RAMBUS / WinXP Pro.

PS. In another thread re: WinMe and System Restore, I saw mention of (a) uncheck Direct Disc in msconfig/startup and (b) make sure PChealth and statemgr are checked; how about for WinXP? I looked and (a) Direct Disc is checked and (b) the other two aren't even on the list!

2. Emtronics

Emtronics

I want to understand you correctly. The update you installed is NOT from Microsoft but from Macromedia? Uninstall Macromedia Flash and re-install it.

3. finleyjt

finleyjt Thread Starter

Thanx EMTONICS, for your reply and apologies for incorrectly using the term "patch" in describing what I installed on Dec 31/02.

It was indeed an update of Macromedia Flash to a version 6.0.65 created on 12/12/02 to address a security problem. The problem was a worm and ironically, my antivirus would have handled it.
    re: uninstalling Macromedia Flash, I have two questions: Where do I find the uninstall for it; it's not in add/remove programs. Secondly, won't I end up needing to reinstall it as soon as I visit a site that runs on Flash?

Lastly, I remain left with the other issue: my System Restore problem; is that info page at Microsoft IT? Am I stuck with no workaround? Can I run a reinstall of XP without losing my data (as can be done with Win98?) If so, that would reinstall the old version of Flash which was no problem (IF I've been able to uninstall the new version as you advised).

4. Emtronics

Emtronics

To uninstall Flash go HERE Yes if you hit a web site that has flash, you will have to get it again. Macromedia flash is not made from Microsoft although it used to ship with Windows a long time ago, not anymore. The two companies had a falling out of sorts.

Go HERE for FAQ and further support issues.

Your problem sounds as if it started with this "flash" update. I think if you remove flash, then come back and install the original version or even re-install the updated version, your problem may be fixed. System Restore is not an option that you have if you believe what that MS article says. If this fixes your problem, then manually create a new restore point before installing Macromedia.

5. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    You can do a repair installation of XP. At least you can with XP Pro. Just insert your WinXp cd in the drive and follow that prompts. You will get to a point where the cd will dtect that you have an os installed already and it will suggest an upgrade. This is the option you choose. You will not lose any data and you woll not lose any settings.

6. finleyjt

finleyjt Thread Starter

Thanx Emtronics for setting me in the right direction.

I went to the link you indicated and from there I ultimately was able to uninstall v.6,0,65,0 of Flash....but what a great learning experience it was!

The instructions were well laid out BUT the file they told me to find and delete (NPSWF32.dll) from Program Files was not to be found there or anywhere on my drive. I looked in my Downloaded Program Files and confirmed that I had Flash. I went back to Macromedia and started looking around for alternatives. I saw "Go to Add/Remove" but it wasn't in there either. Somewhere I also saw "delete the folder from your drive" and indeed there was a Macromedia folder contining a Flash folder in my Windows folder but I remembered the post by someone deleting Flash that way and having Windows problems thereafter and so I decided to stay away from that. WHEW! Finally.....

I finally found the following page at Macromedia http://www.macromedia.com/support/flash/downloads.html where I downloaded their Flash Uninstaller, restarted and then went to their Archives page and downloaded v.5,0,42. The page for that is at http://www.macromedia.com/support/flash/ts/documents/oldplayers.htm

Hope this helps anyone else who might run into this same issue. And thanx Tech Support Guys for having this forum.
    John.

PS. Thanx DustyJay; if this Flash thing doesn't resolve my problem, I know now what to do next.

7. Emtronics

Emtronics

You're welcome! We are all just a bunch of folks who click and learn also. (another echo here) Thanks to the guys/gals who run this board also. A great resource indeed! :D

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/115469

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice