System Restore

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Milack

Hi There,
I am running Windows XP on a P4 2.66GHz with 512MB of RAM. I have recently tried to restore the system to an earlier time, but the restore failed. I've tried several times with different restore points, but they all fail. The system is running ok, but I wanted to restore it after uninstalling a program that I had tried but decided not to use. Has anybody got any ideas what the problem might be? I've tried all of the help files but nothing describes the problem that I'm having. System Restore is enabled, and the disc space is set at 12%.
Regards.
Milack.

I have never had good luck with the built-in system restore.
If you don't mind spending a lillte money, the program you are looking for is "Go-Back". It can be purchased bundled with older "Pro" versions of Norton System Works. These out-dated versions sell pretty cheap. The AV part is out-of-date but the other programs are fine.

dai

if the system restore is corrupted then all you can do is clean it out by turning it off and back on again

Does it fail at a certain point on the progress bar during restore, or just doesn't start at all?--- what's the error message if any?

I just turn off system restore on my PC. it is a waste of HDD space

If you have any problems, the guys here will help you out

BigC,
I am really confused by your answer. Why would you post a link, on a thread in this forum, to the main page of the same forum?
Milak is already in the right place, why go back to the begining?

it was a slip i was in 2 forums at the same time

Will edit last message

the post has now been edited

Hi Milack,
I had problems with mine recently, and turning it off and back on again worked for me.
I also had Go Back in my system which didn't help me any. I later found out that there are things that 'erase' all your points with Go Back, one of them is defraging your disks :(
If your system is working smoothly now would be a good time to turn it off and back on again!

System Restore has saved me on several occasions, no way I'd ever turn it off. You do want to limit the amount of space it can use and regularly delete old restore points to conserve space.

that is okay, but if you get a virus there is a very good chance that the virus will be copied into a restore point

I suppose that it is possible for a restore point to get infected but it's less likely than my IP address getting corrupted, because that has already happened to me. And the only way I was able to fix it was to use System Restore.

How can an IP address get corrupt.

I can understand the Network card driver getting corrupt. not an IP

BigC is right, but it can/will happen to any type of imaging program. You have to be sure that your system is clean. Keep your AV up to date, run it often, use a good firewall. Your "Restore Points or Images" are only as good as the starting point. That is why people are told to turn off the built-in System Restore when removing a Virus from the system, to keep from re-infecting it.

I have no idea how it got corrupted. One day my PC was unable to connect to the router because it had the wrong IP address. All the other pc's on the network were fine. I refreshed the router but to no avail.

Someone on the Dell BB told me that my address had gotten corrupted and to reset to my previous restore point. I did and it fixed the address.

Maybe it was a coincidence, I don't know but nothing else was working.

I have also had situations where software I installed did not work well and restoring to the point previous to the install sure saves a lot of registry hassles.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online