1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System restore

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by James41, Feb 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. James41

James41 Thread Starter

The help screen for this says that you can undo the last system restore as an option. Does this mean immediately after you have used the restore function or can that still be used some time later after a lot of activity?
    Presumably if you can have other activity in between it's as long as you have not used system restore in the meantime . Is that possible?
    If you want to judge the effect of removing the effect of some parameters from certain recent programs, you can presumably use system restore to do that, BUT, if there is no useful result from that , how do you go forward again to regain your present position? Is that undo last restore or will you get stuck somewhere?
    The reason I ask is that loading many programs seems to have affected the response from my USB sockets. Somebody suggested that I go back using System restore to test that but I don't wan't to lose a lot of recent work if I can't get back to where I am now!
    Many thanks for any advice.
    James

2. bonk

bonk Banned

Usually you can use Undo your System Restore after testing it was alright ...but not a lengthy time.

What programs did you install and what is the issue with the USBs?

3. James41

James41 Thread Starter

Hi, Thanks for the prompt reply.
    The USB problem is that I use several pen drives in those sockets at different times. One of them works fine but the others (one the same make , one different make to the good drive) will not respond properly unless I use the good drive first, take it out (with permission) and then install the other drive.
    The system seems to be setup by the first pen drive so that the other drives will then respond poperly. If I don't do that the whole system can sometimes freeze up and sometimes the drives are just not recognised( Windows XP)
    All of the drives work properly with no problem on another PC running ME and they seem to be alright on XP machines belonging to other people!
    A year ago when I first installed the XP things were O.K. until I started to install quite a variety of programs. There was similar difficulty with Fuji Finepix so that my camera is not recognised either. I have to use a card reader for that which works fine on the same sockets which won't work with the pendrives!

James

4. bonk

bonk Banned

sometimes difficulties arise as XP will assign a drive letter for them ....sometimes that drive letter isn't available so if you go to Disk Management and assign one sometimes that works.

5. James41

James41 Thread Starter

The drive letter it gives each of the pendrives (used separately) is G.
    I thought I read somewhere that G can give trouble because XP likes to use that for something special. What that is I don't know and don't understand.
    I think I tried your suggestion a few months ago but got into trouble of some sort. I can't remember exactly what but the system seemed to get more confused I think.
    Do you think it is possible to assign different drive letters to each of the three pendrives? Will the system be able to identify them in some way(by identity numbers of some sort?) even though they will all get used in the same socket?
    I will try what you suggest again a little later.
    Thanks,
    James

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543458

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice