1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System Restore

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by dexy29, Dec 28, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dexy29

dexy29 Thread Starter

could someone plz help me on how to remove unwanted restore points that i no longer need or want.

2. Dan O

Dan O

By default once System Restore reaches 90 percent of the allotted size, System Restore begins to "purge" older Restore Points on a first-in first-out (FIFO) basis until the 50 percent of its allotted size is free.

The minimum size used by System Restore is 200MB. If your Windows drive has fewer than 200MB of free space after you install Windows Me, System Restore is disabled by default and you will have to manually enable System Restore after you have freed up sufficient disk space. If System Restore is disabled due to the low disk notifier, System Restore automatically re-enables itself after sufficient disk space is made available. On logical drives that are less than 4GB, the maximum size used by System Restore is 400MB. On logical drives that are 4GB or larger, the space used for System Restore is approximately 12 percent of the logical drive that Windows Me is installed on.

You can also adjust the size of used by System Restore manually, follow these steps:

Select Start > Settings > Control Panel > System
    Select the Performance tab
    Click the File System button
    On the Hard Disk tab, adjust the System Restore disk space use slider to the preferred size

3. dexy29

dexy29 Thread Starter

cant restore points be removed manually so as to keep certain restore points.

4. MariJane

MariJane

Brand new system, multiple "blue screens of death." Running Windows Me. IE seems extremely sensitive. Have been running Dr. Watson and virtually _everything_ is crashing.

The problem showed up before any virus scan program was installed. This is supposed to be a "game" machine, but any new game installed crashes after a few initial moves. I realize this is hardly enough without all the particlulars, but I'd appreciate any indication of a direction to try.

Mary Jane

5. dexy29

dexy29 Thread Starter

you seem to be in the wrong thread dear.

6. Dan O

Dan O

Dexy29, I have never seen anything saying how, but you can experiment if you like. I no longer run ME, so I cannot help you with it. Maybe someone else can. Make sure to backup or image your OS partition before experimenting.

Mary Jane, I recommend you open your own new thread.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63289

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice