1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

system restore

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by nyrob300, Nov 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nyrob300

nyrob300 Thread Starter

when i do a system restore ,when it is done it says it cannot be restored nothing has been changed. i`m using windows xp. I had accidently deleted a folder with some family photos which i was trying to recover. i was wondering if i would get them back with a system restore if i can get it to work . I tried several different restore points none worked.Is there anything else i can do ?

2. 1069

Hi,

When you use System Restore your data, files and photos are not affected when you return to a previous date. It therefore follows that if you have deleted photos you will not be able to restore them using System Restore.

Have you checked in the Recycle Bin for the folder?

3. bicycle bill

bicycle bill Banned

4. Claymore

Claymore

For the System Restore problem (which, as mentioned, won't get your photos back):

System Restore may be completely wonked, as Restore Points are "chained" together and interdependent, so that if one is corrupted, none will work, but try this:

Delete all but the most recent System Restore Point

Go to Start => Run and type in "cleanmgr" {without the quotes}
    Select your installation drive (usually C:\)
    Wait till the utility is finished scanning - a few minutes
    Click the 'More Options' tab
    In the System Restore section, click the 'Clean Up' button.

As a check, you can restart the computer to see if the single remaining Restore Point will Restore.
    If you do, and it does restore successfully, but you want to revert to the original state, restart System Restore and select to Undo the last Restore Point.

If this doesnt work, then your only option is this:

System Restore - delete all Restore Points

Right-click on My Computer and click on 'Properties'
    Click on the 'System Restore' tab to open the System Restore configuration window.
    Check the box 'Turn off System Restore on all drives'.
    Restart the computer. This will delete all previous Restore Points.
    If you want to re-enable System Restore, go back to the System Restore configuration window.
    Uncheck the box ''Turn off System Restore on all drives'.
    Exit the configuration window and open System Restore.
    Create a Restore Point

As a check, you can restart the computer to see if the single Restore Point will Restore.
    If you do, and it does restore successfully, but you want to revert to the original state, restart System Restore and select to Undo the last Restore Point.

====================

This utility is also pretty good at file recovery:

recuva

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/647010

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice