1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

system restore

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by grinder231, Jan 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grinder231

grinder231 Thread Starter

I changed my graphics card today and everything seemed to go ok. So I installed an old game I never got around to finishing. But when I double click on the game to start it, I get this message. Application failed to initalize properly (0xc0000142). But what is really strange, I created a restore point before doing anything with the swap of cards, just in case something like this happened. So I went back to the restore point I created and clicked on it, but the computer restarted before the restore point could be restored. So I went to an earlier restore point, one the computer created a week ago, and the same thing happened. Why is the computer restarting instead of restoring? Everything else seems to be ok but I haven't done a whole lot of checking. A thought. I'm not sure I turned off my Norton wirewall before installing the game. Could that have anything to do with it? All my Window Updates are current and I ran a system scan before doing anything too. Thanks

Win XP Pro SP3

2. surferdude2

surferdude2

Grinder,

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but the hard truth is that Windows System restore isn't very dependable. Even when it works right, it only restores "Certain" Windows system files (hard to find out what those are). If your particular problem is some other file, then you're out of luck.

If your system is still bootable and works well in all areas except this problem software you recently installed, be thankful. Uninstall it and consider it unusable.

For future protection, check out ERUNT, which is a free registry backup program. Then also consider getting any of several disk imaging programs that are available. Those can make a full backup image that can be restored when trouble raises its ugly head and there is no easy fix. Windows System Restore can't do that and is a poor offering and very limited in its ability at best.

edit: rereading your post, you may need to put your old graphics card back in so that the hardware matches what System restore needs.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973290

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice