1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System Restored...NOT!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bugsy1, Aug 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bugsy1

bugsy1 Thread Starter

I removed a trial version of Microsoft Outlook 2003 Professional Edition. After doing this my computer would not allow me to access my Outlook. I tried restoring the system to an earlier date but it continued to prompt me to insert the CD. I returned the CD to my college bookstore last quarter so I do not have the CD. My last resort was to restore the system to its orginial state as when I bought it. " At least that is what it said I could do." Now each time I start my computer it shows this message " The application has failed to start because Prog.dll was not found. Re-installing this the applicaiton may fix this problem"
    My computer is running very slow and freezes up and will not allow me shut down...not even on the tower. The only way to shut down and restart is unplug the computer and start over.

2. bobol

bobol

bump for you.
    Is that the exact message, can you recheck? I can't even google it. This one's a mysterious one indeed.

3. bugsy1

bugsy1 Thread Starter

S200Btns.exe unable to locate component.

The application has failed to start because Prog.dll was not found. Re-installing this the applicaiton may fix this problem

I installed Office 2000 thinking maybe the file needed would be loaded...no luck. I removed that office and installed Office XP Small Business and no luck. Word, PowerPoint, Excell, Publisher..none of these will work. My computer locks and will not allow me to close.

4. bobol

bobol

only thing I can think of is post a hijack log;
    For openers, let's run spybot and adaware [gotten from links below-also see the tutorial links for their setup]. After that download and run Hijack This [link below] then follow the below instructions fully, and post the log in this thread, whereupon it'll be analysed by those-in-the-know here and then appropriate fixes will be suggested.

Run Hijack This from your Program Files folder (NOT a temporary files folder) or you may loose the ability to undo any changes you make later using the Hijack This back-up feature.

Close all open windows/and any open web browsers and then open Hijack This. Click “Scan”. When the scan is finished (it only takes a second), the scan button will change to “Save Log”. Click on “Save Log” and then save it to NotePad. Click on “Edit” – “Select all” – “copy” and then “paste” into the thread.

DO NOT FIX ANYTHING YET;- Await further analysis here.

5. bugsy1

bugsy1 Thread Starter

Sorry I took so long to respond. I have been trying to download Spybot and HyJack This. I am having trouble connecting to sites. I did find out what the application message was. It had something to do with my scanner. Of course that still did not take care of the problem with my computer. I still can't load office xp, so I can't use the office programs I need. I will continue to try to download spybot.

Thanks

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/387197

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice