1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System restoring automatically?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by RunningWild, Apr 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RunningWild

RunningWild Thread Starter

Recently i've noticed that my desktop setups and my start menu setups have been looking really strange lately. Mainly, they look like what they were 2 days ago. I started noticing this when my start menu was filled with empty program folders but the programs were still installed. My desktop was filled with folders I had already deleted the day before. Usually this stuff happens when I system restore but I have not done that yet on this PC.

I don't know what's going on but either my computer is restoring itself or it is not remembering what I am doing. I really have no clue as to how to fix this problem.

Note: This has been happening on and off for the past week and a half.

2. XtremeNuker

XtremeNuker

Buddy, first of all get an full AV and Spyware scan. Before running that scan, turn off the system restore function in your advance settings of my computer. See if this helps.

3. RunningWild

RunningWild Thread Starter

I've done that already. Ran NOD32 full scan twice, defragmented once, system restore has been off for about 4 days. My conclusion so far is that it's not system restore at this point, but for some reason my actions for the day aren't recorded. Every 2nd or 3rd time I shutdown everything reverts to how it was a few days ago.

Oh and 2 days ago I installed Sim City 4 deluxe edition and the folders and files are still present in program files but the executable is gone and it no longer shows up in the start menu. I'm just going to reformat since I can barely figure out where anything is anymore.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/700888

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice