1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System sees 2200+ CPU as 553 MHz??? HELP!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by johnnieq, Sep 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. johnnieq

johnnieq Thread Starter

I bought a barebones kit today.

In it I installed an new FIC - AN19E Stealth Socket A ATX DDR Motherboard, a new AMD Athlon XP 2200+ CPU, a new Squeeze CPU fan, 2 new sticks of premium grade 256 DDR PC 2700 333MHz Ram, a used 64 MB NVidia GeForce 2 video card, a used 20 GB hard drive, floppy drive, a new V.92 Data/Fx/Voice modem and an old 56X CD ROM.

I loaded all the software from the mainboard CD. The hard drive already had WinXP Pro loaded on it.

Everything seems to run just great, but not as fast as I had expected. Checked system properties and it shows the CPU as a 553MHz AMD Athlon(tn) XP.

So I ran Passmark's Performance Test v4.0 and it shows a clock speed of 553.4MHz.

What's up? Did I miss a jumper setting on the motherboard?

Or a clock speed setting in the BIOS?

H-E-L-P-!-!

& thanks in advance :)

2. McTimson

McTimson

Make sure the FSB is set correctly, it should be at either 133mhz, or 266 mhz, depending on how your motherboard displays it. Also, make sure the multiplier for the CPU is set correctly.

3. johnnieq

johnnieq Thread Starter

Thanks McTimsom, are these both BIOS settings?

4. johnnieq

johnnieq Thread Starter

RESOLVED - Did a quick search of FIC's homepage on motherboard FAQ's and my question (& answer) were there. I just had to change the Bios clock seting to one-half x the FSB speed. FSB = 266 Set BIOS to 133

Thanks people!! :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/164155

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice