1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System.Service.Exception

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by cloudrdr, Feb 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cloudrdr

cloudrdr Thread Starter

Got this new Lenovo desktop with WinHate. Struggled with several weeks to learn and set everything up. Finally it is working just fine and dandy. ALL OF A SUDDEN, out of the blue, it decides that it wants to take mini-vacations at random times throughout the day in the form of SYSTEM.SERVICE.EXCEPTIONS. I saw somewhere that Symantic might be the culprit...I did not have Symantic products but, the only things that happened recently were that that the stupid McAfee that came with the PC upgraded and like two days later started to complain that it was expired and that I should renew it. So, based on someone saying that Symantic (Norton) might cause this error, I went ahead and delete the McAfee (using CP Program Deleter) (BTW: I use a paid version of AVAST for virus protection)

So anyway, this started happening and keeps happening randomly.

Now another thing which I have noticed is that, I think, every time it crapped out, I was using Firefox. Do you know ANY REASON why that may be related? Now this is a problem because I have now run into three important commercial sites that I am required to use to function which DO NOT WORK with the stupid Internet Explorer 10 that Microsoft felt compelled to shove down my throat. These sites work fine with Firefox.

Can you Help me, Tech Guy? Can Ya', PLease?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You "deleted" McAfee? That often leads to trouble. Should always uninstall a program. Anyhow, run the McAfee Removal Tool.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
  4. cloudrdr

cloudrdr Thread Starter

PROPS for MacAfee CleanUp. That Did seem to operate flawlessly on Win8. So no probs there. As to the original problem, though. Have you encountered any connection between the usage of Firefox as a browser and any SSE-type problems which would drop the the computer in its tracks.

Since, I've stopped using that software (knock wood) the PC has not taken an unannounced mini-vacation on its own.

But as noted, not using that browser presents certain other problems that were already IE10 workarounds.

Thanks

Good Work.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I know of no reason Firefox would cause the problem.

6. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

I am not a fan of Firefox. However please do not think that I have allowed the opinions stated here to be influenced by that

they did not really, as they simply provided their IE with their OS. You may choose completely which you use - IE - Firefox etc.

2. Although you will not find it too easily there are many bugs on Firefox and windows 8
    https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/buglist.cgi?resolution=---;op_sys=Windows%208;query_format=advanced;list_id=2566504

and again although you will not find it easily - Firefox are still working to produce a version that will run smoothly from the metro screen

If you have websites that will not run in IE10
    the cause, in my opinion, lies not with IE10 per se, but with other settings.

As I said at the start I am not a Firefox fan, but there is no doubt that bugs still exist in Firefox on 8.

7. cloudrdr

cloudrdr Thread Starter

OK. Well, Fair enough. I've never been that enthralled with FF either, just that it worked and IE10 would not on some functions of some pages. As to the IE10 not working with those functions on those sites. Yeah, it is the province of the webmaster to make sure his site works with the prevailing browsers...but...IE10 is not really, the prevailing browser, and probably won't be for quite some time. And frankly, as Apple has known for a long time users just plain don't want hear about settings and drivers and this and that and a billion other technical hobgoblins...they just want to get in turn the key and drive to the store. And the tech support at the sites all told me, they're having the same damned problems making it work...so...I dunno. Maybe our friends in Redmond might have their sights ground a little to one side or the other, because I do not think this release hit the mark as square as many of the previous ones have.

Nevertheless...life goes on.

I do really appreciate your rapid and, seemingly, helpful, so far, service and am glad to have found a new site to haunt.

8. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

You are welcome

For the sites that do not work on IE10 key F12 on the lower windows click browser mode IE10
    try the options.

9. guest2112

guest2112

hey guys i just heard some stuff about this system service exception. seems to impact computers with AMD drivers, and it seems to be related to a win8 update called KB2778344. I've gone to my control panel -- programs -- clicked the top left to list my updates, I uninstalled KB2778344. So far so good.

10. shazchip

shazchip

Thankyou!! (y) I'd been searching for a while on what this error was and then came across your suggestion... tried it, and so far so good for me too! I'm ecstatic as it was SO frustrating having just bought a new computer with genuine software etc etc, only for it to crash continuously.

So anyway, where did you find this bit of information? Do you know if it's been reported by anyone, anywhere?? (It's a Microsoft update, right?)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090120

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice