1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System settings change

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by froghopper, Apr 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. froghopper

froghopper Thread Starter

One of the things that I find annoying is being told that the updates are ready to download. Usually I settle for remind me later. Yesterday I allowed the updates to be downloaded and later, to be installed.
    Since then I've had problems. Every time I reboot I get the message
    Windows 2000 has finished installing new devices. you must restart your computer before new settings will take effect. Do you want to restart your computer now? I said "yes" the first couple of times but I still get asked again - and again! So now I say "no" and the computer boots without problem.
    I confess to not knowing what the updates were for (!) If I did, I'd probably try another download and try a re-install. As it is, I'm left with the recurring message and no ideas regarding how to solve it. Anyone got any ideas?

2. Linkmaster

Linkmaster

Hi froghopper,
    If you have SP4 installed:
    Go into Control panel, click on windows updates and and uncheck Automatically download and install updates ok See if that works!!

3. froghopper

Hi TW56!
    'Have tried your suggestion My check box was set to "Notify me before downloading any updates and notify me again before installing them on my computer" - hence those annoying intrusions! I've since set it to Automatically do everything!
    I wanted to come back to you earlier but in the meantime, I went off to Microsoft and let them have a look at the updates that they thought I needed - they came back with SP4 (!) OK, I'll sit here for an hour or so (Yeah, dial-up!) Anyway I sat through the whole lot and finally I got to the re-boot stage - and guess what?

Windows 2000 has finished installing new devices. you must restart your computer before new settings will take effect. Do you want to restart your computer now??

So we're back to square One. Nothing seems to be amiss. Everything seems to work as it should - it's just the annoying message![

I]Windows 2000 has finished installing new devices. you must restart your computer before new settings will take effect. Do you want to restart your computer now?[/I]? NO! No! NO!

4. froghopper

Hi TW56!
    'Have tried your suggestion My check box was set to "Notify me before downloading any updates and notify me again before installing them on my computer" - hence those annoying intrusions! I've since set it to Automatically do everything!
    I wanted to come back to you earlier but in the meantime, I went off to Microsoft and let them have a look at the updates that they thought I needed - they came back with SP4 (!) OK, I'll sit here for an hour or so (Yeah, dial-up!) Anyway I sat through the whole lot and finally I got to the re-boot stage - and guess what?

Windows 2000 has finished installing new devices. you must restart your computer before new settings will take effect. Do you want to restart your computer now??

So we're back to square One. Nothing seems to be amiss. Everything seems to work as it should - it's just the annoying message![

I]Windows 2000 has finished installing new devices. you must restart your computer before new settings will take effect. Do you want to restart your computer now?[/I]? NO! No! NO!

5. froghopper

I'm So sorry. 'Didn't mean to submit a double entry, Put it down to emphasis -or even stereo!

6. Linkmaster

Linkmaster

Try this :
    delete volume.inf (Dont just rename it. You can zip it if you want)
    It is in : c:\winnt\inf\ Do a search if not found!!

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/224350

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice