1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

system setup-shows unknown device for hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dewsa, Apr 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dewsa

Dewsa Thread Starter

After 3 years for performing great my other Dell will now not boot as the "set-up" shows, "unknown device" for my hard drive. How do I try to fix that? Disconect ribbon cables and re-install them? I'm sorta at a loss. Any ideas?
    Thanks.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You can try reconnecting the IDe cables, or trying a different IDE cable. But the drive may have died on you too. Buts its easy to check, just install it into a another computer and see if tis deteted. Of course try the easiest things first, check the IDE cable.

3. Dewsa

Dewsa Thread Starter

Oh. Forgot to mention that I have a second drive "D" that is not seen in the setup either. Static or psu probs?

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Are they on the same IDe cable? if so make sure that they are jumpered correctly. One should be set as Master and the other as Slave or both shoudl be set as Cable Select with the primary drive at the end of the IDE cable.

Or try the drives one at a time to see if one drive is malfunctioning.

5. Dewsa

Dewsa Thread Starter

Solved.. It was a faulty power connector to hard drive.
    Thanks for your help though.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/459145

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice