1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

system setup

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by torment1979, Feb 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. torment1979

torment1979 Thread Starter

Hey guys,

Just wanted anyones opinion on where the weak points of my system are. I use it for games ie: Doom 3/Wolfenstein and etc...online gaming and basic internet use.

Custom built pc:
    intel p4 2.53gig 533mhz fb
    ecs pt 800ce mobo
    1 gig ram
    24bit sound blaster live 7.1
    bfg geforce 5500 256mb oc
    win xp

I plan on moving upto a 3.2gig HT P4 and adding 1 more gig of ram. Also I might change mobo to a Asus P4V8X-X. Other then that, what do you think of my current system? Where should I improve it?
    Thanks,
    torment1979

2. darkelf_18

darkelf_18

Before adding ANOTHER gig of ram I would HIGHLY suggest a different gfx card. Maybe one of the 6600 series. Unless you REALLY want to spend the cash then go for the 6800ultra. And since you seem to want to do alot of gaming have you thought of the AMD 64bit procs??? Like the 3200+ - 3500+ ones. I dont know the prices on the P4 stuff but I bet the 64 bit stuff would be better for a cheaper price. And yeah I would go with ASUS's stuff over intel if you do go with the P4 proc.

3. beanmaster1

beanmaster1

Yeah, I'd go with darkelf. You'd be better off changing the vid card and if you're planning to upgrade your proc then better go with an AMD 64bit.

4. beanmaster1

beanmaster1

Oh yeah you might also want to consider a radeon. The PCIes are more stable now, so they'd be quite powerful now.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Before you go with a P4, you might want to checkout the cooling issues with the prescott core processors. The new AMD64s run much cooler. Typical temp for a 3.0 prescott is >55C. The 3500+ I am using to type this is running @30C right now.

As to mb, stay away from ecs. They are a bottom feeder mfg. If you go P4, go with either an asus or intel board using the intel chipset. Stay away from via or sis chipsets for a P4.

If you do decide to go AMD64 an Asus A8V is an excellent board along with the Soltek KT8 pro. In any case go with the 939 pin chip, not the 754 pin chip. The reason is for upgrade ability. There is no more development planed for the 754 pin line of processors.

6. gaftop1

gaftop1

stay away from ecs and pcchips boards. very low quality

7. CarlssonMB

CarlssonMB

I'm with darkelf, a gig of ram is enough to run pretty much any game, adding another gig will only help if you do any kind of cad drawings and lots of 3d rendering otherwise go for a Athlon 64 or a new gfx card like the others were saying

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/327651

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice