1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System shut down, CMOS reset

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Inglonias, Jan 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Inglonias

Inglonias Thread Starter

Hey. Last night, my CMOS reset itself RIGHT AFTER the computer turned itself off. The computer is about two years old, and I suspect the BIOS battery is dying, but usually they don't die for something like six years, right?

This is my first computer listed in my specs thing.

Additionally, I had a bluescreen today that said PAGE_IN_UNPAGED_LOCATION or something like that. Any ideas? This has been going on for a few weeks and its very worrying!

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Sometimes a cmos battery lasts a long time and sometimes it does not. Depends on how long the battery sat around before being used.

Next from your specs, I see one glaring problem; raidmax pw supply. Raidmax is junk. No other way to say it. Your page error is often indicative of a ram problem or system stability issue. Here is what I would do in the following order;

1 This is a gigabyte board so you can install easytune or download and install hwmonitor
    2 With the monitoring app running, run something that will stress the system. I like to use prime95 however there are other apps as well that will work. Monitor your temps and voltages. Post those here; specifically the cpu temp, system temp, 12V, 5V, and 3.3V rails.
    3 Post the exact ram you have installed. Some corsair ram needs a higher vdimm [ram voltage] set in the bios. If this is not done, it can give errors.

Post back with results.

3. prunejuice

prunejuice

It's probably not.

This is a known bug with Gigabyte boards with this chipset. I should know, I'm typing this post on one right now.
    Hard shutdowns have been the main cause of this.

You must truly reset the BIOS and re-enter your settings, or choose the defaults to start with.
    Simply moving the CMOS jumper isn't enough...you need to to this with the CMOS battery removed.
    Replace it afterwards.

4. Inglonias

Inglonias Thread Starter

Ah. Found the manual page on how to do that. I'll try.

So do I:

1. Remove battery
    2. Reset values with jumper
    3. Turn off computer
    4. Replace battery?

5. prunejuice

prunejuice

No. Do not put your hands in a running computer.

Turn off computer.
    Remove CMOS battery.
    Move CMOS jumper to Clear position.
    Replace CMOS battery.
    Boot into BIOS and reset values.

6. Inglonias

Inglonias Thread Starter

Got it. I'll try that. Thanks for your help.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973612

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice