1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System shutdown.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Zulli85, Feb 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Zulli85

Zulli85 Thread Starter

Most of the time(I'd say around 95% of the time), my computer doesnt shutdown right. Ill do the usual, go to start, turn off computer, and hit shutdown. But it will just sit there and do nothing. It wont shutdown at all, it would just act like I didnt tell it do to anything. Sometimes I'll get one of those "Program not responding" messages and its always DEVLDR if it comes up. After closing that program the computer still chooses to sit and do nothing. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

2. dagiftolife@

[email protected]

3. Emtronics

Emtronics

This is cause by your soundcard driver. It is either corrupt or not properly installed. Go HERE and read this. This will instruct you on how to fix it. That is most likely why your computer hangs on shutdown.

4. Zulli85

Zulli85 Thread Starter

I have removed the sound card driver in device manager but where do I go to reinstall it on the XP cdrom? Also, I tried restarting and letting windows automatically install it but I still have the same problem. Thanks for the info.

5. Emtronics

Emtronics

If XP re-installed the driver, which it should do without the CD, then go to Creative.com and get the Soundblaster Live! drivers and download and install them over the top of your current driver. The link I posted from Microsoft states the driver is on the XP CD, probably in one of the .cabs. You should try this, do as the link said in the Device Manager by removing or uninstalling the driver. Shutdown completely. When started, XP should find the "new device" and set it up. If that didn't happen, then you might have to go as far as uninstalling the driver again, shutdown, remove the sound card, and then reboot. Then shutdown, install the card, and XP should "see" it and want the CD or the location on the .cabs. In my experience with XP, it should install a Soundblaster Live! card without you doing anything! I have never seen XP not install a Soundblaster unless there is an IRQ conflict which I doubt. If it installs, and you still get your error, then download the larest drivers from Creative and install over the top of your old drivers.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119266

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice