1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System shuts down

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Gisèle, Feb 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Gisèle

Gisèle Thread Starter

I have a pentium pro-200, 63 MB, 512 KB, with a Windows 98; when I open it up I get a CD ROM Drive not ready screen, I press A for abort then I get interface card found, please check cable or power, press any key to continue. So I press a key then the system shuts down. I can't get it to open up to my reg. desktop page. I've checked the cable & power and everything looks OK. What do you suggest I do??

Thanks,Gisele

2. norton850

norton850

Is this problem in Windows or before Windows loads?

3. Gisèle

Gisèle Thread Starter

This is before Windows loads up.

Thanks,

4. norton850

norton850

If you go into BIOS and set the HD as the first boot device will it bypass that message and boot up into Windows?

5. Gisèle

Gisèle Thread Starter

I'm sorry; can you give me more info. as to where to find BIOS?? What does this stand for???
    And what's HD??

Thanks, Gisele

6. norton850

norton850

Sorry:)

HD is hardrive.
    When you first turn on your computer on the first screen there might be a line that says to press a certain key (like F1 or Del to enter setup). That's were you need to go. Is your computer a certain brand?

7. Fredledingue

Fredledingue

Well, first I would check the cables inside the computer case. Maybe something is realy disconected.
    Then maybe the CD drive is dead. On old computers that happens.

Secondly in the BIOS, in the case the CD-drive is not working, I would put the boot device on the Floppy Disk as it used to be for this type of machine.

Finaly the "Del" key is most often used to access the BIOS.

8. johnny wizz

johnny wizz

if u have tried changing the bios startup and has failed then your pc is likely to be suffering from overheating problems caused by a failling fan in the power supply or in the processor.check on the air circulation on your pc.

9. Gisèle

Gisèle Thread Starter

I was able to get into the set up file but not sure where this BIOS is; what does it stand for?? The only BIOS I see in there is the video BIOS. Tried hitting the del. key but nothing happens.

Thanks, Gisele

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544809

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice