1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System shuts off while playing games

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by swelchner, Apr 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. swelchner

swelchner Thread Starter

Hi:

I am trying to solve a problem that my son is having while playing games on the computer. We have a Windows XP Pro, Asus A7N8X Deluxe Motherboard, AMD Athlon XP2500+, 512 MB Corsair Twin-X 3200LL Dual Channel Memory,
    ATI Radeon 9700 Pro 128MB AGP Video Card. For the past several months, whenever my son plays a video game with a CD in the CD drive, the power shuts off at a random time in the game (from one to 5 minutes after starting the game). This does not happen with any other programs but only games requiring a CD (eg t does not happen on games played over the Internet with no disc required, nor does it happen when in Word or email).

I have run all of our virus software with no luck (Norton, spybot). I have also tried downloading an up to date version of DirextX and our video driver. Still no luck.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Steven

2. dai

dai

check the temps. and voltages
    what size p/supply

3. swelchner

swelchner Thread Starter

430 power supply
    Motherboard 29 C, 84 F
    CPU 61 C, 142 F
    CPU Diode 73 C, 163 F

Thanks for responding dai

4. dai

dai

i know amd run hotter than intel,but it does seem a bit on the highside,your cpu is almost double the m/b.
    if this is normal it will be hotter when playing games,i would reseat the cpu heatsink and renew the paste and see if it came down.

5. StillLearnin'

StillLearnin'

Was that an Antec case/power supply? If so, which model was it? It seems to me that the cpu temp is a little high and gaming(with cd in) could run the temp up too high. It also makes a diff at what the parameters are for the shutoff temps on the mobo.

"Motherboard 29 C, 84 F
    CPU 61 C, 142 F
    CPU Diode 73 C, 163 F"

Are these temps after just sitting idle or when gaming, etc.?

6. swelchner

swelchner Thread Starter

Thanks for responding.

Antec Performance Plus 1080 AMG w/430 Watt Power supply

The computer had been running for some time before I checked the various temperatures. This time, I turned the computer off for a while before rebooting. The temps at start up are: motherboard 25 C (77 F), CPU 41 C (106 F) and CPU Diode 59 C (133 F). After two minutes of game play (which is about all that the computer can safely handle), the temps were as follows: motherboard 29 C (84 F), CPU 55 C (131 F) and CPU Diode 70 C (158 F).

How you can tell what the shut off temps are?

Thanks again.

7. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

If I am reading this table right, you are well within specs for that processor.

http://users.erols.com/chare/elec.htm

Athlon XP-2600+
    (6-8-1 2.13GHz Thoroughbred)
    1.65V
    (?V~?V)
    2.0V
    --
    --
    41.4A
    62W
    68.3W
    85° C

Does the system completely shutdown, or does it restart?

Do you see any "system" errors in the System events log in Admistrative Tools > Events.

And follow this suggestion to see if you can get a shutdown blue screen.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320299

It has been suggested that this thread be moved to hardware; At this point I don't know if it is really a hardware problem since it is so narrowly defined in nature, but I will move it there if you like.

I would also suggest you test by "clean booting" the system. This is done essentially by running msconfig and removing the check temporarily for "load startup items".

CD burning software can cause anomalies if running in the background. And if there is an older version of Roxio (adaptec), it needs to be updated.

8. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Just a suggestion here, can you try playing the game in safe mode?

9. StillLearnin'

StillLearnin'

A temp of 61 C when being on like that is too high for a 2500 Barton. It shouldn't get that high or any higher when under extreme usage. It appears to me to be overheating. As I believe it's still under warranty, I suggest you take it back to the custom builder shop you went to and have it checked out before you mess with it. It could be the actual mobo threshold settings, the arctic silver paste on the die, the coolong of the heatsink/fan or the case cooling. If you put a cd in that has pictures on it and view them, does it do the same thing? I still think it is heat related...............

10. StillLearnin'

StillLearnin'

11. swelchner

swelchner Thread Starter

Thank you very much for all the responses.

StillLearnin': I will take your advice and bring the computer in to the
    store where we bought it. It is still under warranty as you pointed out and
    I know very little about computers to be messing around.

Re: The thread that this system evolved from - I had no idea that my mom
    went to such lengths to choose our computer. Thanks very much for helping
    her. It's a great computer. Also thank you for helping me now.

When we first got the computer in June, everything was working well. In
    December it started to shut off more or less the way it is doing now but not
    just with games. We brought it into the computer shop and they reinstalled
    XP and we thought it was good for a short period of time. Then it started to
    shut off again maybe about two months ago - getting steadily worse.

In an unrelated problem, our Internet Explorer stopped working and we had to
    use Netscape. I reinstalled it and it is now working fine.

Rollin' Rog has asked if I want this thread moved to "Hardware". I now think
    that is where it belongs but since I am going to take the computer in for
    servicing anyway, perhaps it doesn't matter.

I will post here when I know the solution.

Thanks again to everyone for the help and advice.

Steven

12. StillLearnin'

StillLearnin'

I asked that the thread be moved as this doesn't sound like a software problem and I think the temps are too high for the cpu when not stressing it. Either the thermal paste wasn't put on correctly and needs to be redone or there could be a problem with the cpu or mobo. Since the mobo temps are okay, it would appear the mobo is okay though. The previous problem was never taken care of and probably coming back to haunt you now again. If I recall, the shop is too poorly trained to flash the BIOS to a newer version(I believe they refused to do it when it was built). That "may" be a problem, but I would start by reseating the cpu and checking temps under stress. You didn't answer about the cd usage other than gaming...................... are you using the cdrw/burner or the dvd/cd-rom for reading the discs? The setup for your drives should be such:

Primary IDE
    Master: Drive C:
    Slave: DVD/CD-ROM D:

Secondary IDE
    Master: CDRW E:
    Slave: Second hard drive F:

Any other card readers, (Removable Disks)etc.. G:

13. swelchner

swelchner Thread Starter

To StillLearnin':

"I asked that the thread be moved as this doesn't sound like a software problem and I think the temps are too high for the cpu when not stressing it."

How can I ask that this happen as when asked before I said that it didn't matter? Do I send an email to the moderator?

"The previous problem was never taken care of and probably coming back to haunt you now again."

Exactly the same is now happening. Today it was shutting off even when not playing games. My mom spoke to the technician at the store and he said to open the computer and blow out any dust especially on the fans. He thinks it might need a new cpu fan. He said if the problem persists after I blow out the dust, I should bring it in. I am off work tomorrow and will try to do that then. Hope I can figure out how to open the case!

" If I recall, the shop is too poorly trained to flash the BIOS to a newer version(I believe they refused to do it when it was built). "

It was a different shop. I am told that we didn't use the one that refused to flash the bios. I don't know if there has been a bios update. I went to the AMD website but found nothing there. I could not find anything on the Asus site either. However I am not sure if I looked in the right place.

"That "may" be a problem, but I would start by reseating the cpu and checking temps under stress."

I shall let the shop do that as I have no idea about it.

"You didn't answer about the cd usage other than gaming......................"

I am sorry. We don't use any other type of disks except for gaming. However today the computer has shut down more often and not only with games.

>are you using the cdrw/burner or the dvd/cd-rom for reading the discs? "

I am using the cdrw.

"The setup for your drives should be such:"

It is set up as follows:

Primary Master: WDC WD8 00JB-00CR
    Primary Slave: ST 330630A

Secondary Master: JLMS XJ -HD 166S
    Secondary Slave: Lite-on LTR- 5224

Is this correct?

"Any other card readers, (Removable Disks)etc.. G:"

No other card readers, etc.

Thanks again for your help!

Steven

14. PaveFE

PaveFE

With AMDs running hotter, I would recommend getting a different heatsink than the one it comes with. Get those temps down and I'll bet you'll be ok, but if not, then I would start researching other areas. Heatsinks are cheap enough.

15. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Was the stock HSF used in the assembly of this comuter? If so, definitely think about upgrading that. Thos temps are high and if the computer is set for temps close to those then when the game is started the temps will rise past the set thresholds and shut down. Unfortunately, though I am an AMD fan, the AMD processors do not have the technology that the Intel processors do when they heat up the processor slows down. Not so with the AMD, this is why the motherboards have the stuff to shut them off!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/223965

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice