1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System shutting down at seemingly random times

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Alekiel, May 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alekiel

Alekiel Thread Starter

Hi.

The last few weeks, I've had my PC shutdown at seemingly random intervals of time with no connection between them at all on the software side or hardware load. It will happen whether I'm on my Windows 7 or Debian partition, whether I'm gaming, watching videos on Netflix or just reading twitter.

The first thing I checked was temperature ranges, but the computer has been capable of maintaining a temperature below the 60° C, even on load. I also removed the GPU and left it over night to find it turned off in the morning (no apparent blackouts that night). I also have a power regulator to which everything is connected and tried to remove it from the equation by connecting the PC directly to the wall, but the problem persisted.

All of this made me think it was the PSU so I took it for warranty. The store wanted to make sure it was what was failing and decided to test it. However, they put it in a computer for like 7 hours and it never did. I should note that the computer they used for the testing was pretty weak compared to mine, no GPU and the like. I asked them the try with a morw demanding PC and see and we'll see.

Honestly, though, I have no idea what the problem is. Any help would be appreciated.

Here is my system:
    Intel Core i7 4770 @ 3.4 Ghz CPU
    Nvidia 970 GTX 4Gb of GDDR5 GPU
    ASUS P5P41T LE Motherboard
    Thermaltake TR2 600W PSU
    8Gb of DDR3 RAM
    A Single 1.5Tb HDD with a Windows 7 and a Debian linux partition
    3 chasis fans, one on front, one behind and one on top.
    4 USB devices: an Intuos 5 Wacom Tablet, a Logitech gamepad, mouse and keyboard.
    No CD, DVD or Blu-Ray units, no floppies

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

1. Welcome to Tech Support Guy

2. If I read this correctly - as you are NOW waiting for the results of the PSU test, when powering a system similar to yours
    then I indeed do think it best to wait until you have that test completed by the Store.
    As you so correctly suggest - a PSU can fail to deliver voltages when the current draw - eg the amps is at a certain level, whilst it may indeed be OK if the requirement is only half of the max

Any test without the similar requiremenst of the 970 GTX is rather pointless, as indeed the Store should know

Thermal and Power Specs:

98 CMaximum GPU Tempurature (in C)

145 WGraphics Card Power (W)

500 W Minimum System Power Requirement (W)

2x 6-pinsSupplementary Power Connectors

So until you have that confrmation further attempts to find the problem are rather futile

Finally I am a little confused - is the PSU at the Store for testing or back in the computer

3. Alekiel

Alekiel Thread Starter

Hello, thank you for the welcome.

Indeed, the PSU was at the store getting tested. I took my whole tower in, too, to check every part. It seems the culprit might be the mobo; as of now, it seems to not want to start up when the GPU is plugged in. I suppose this is a faulty mobo? The GPU works fine in others, as does the PSU. I sure hope it ain't that CPU, son, that thing is expensive.

I'll let you guys know how it goes later today.

4. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Wait to hear from you

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1148870

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice