1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System shutting down - system volume catalog error

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by maxmuse, Aug 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maxmuse

maxmuse Thread Starter

I am running windows XP Pro and work with multi media applications, during playback of these files or sometimes in windows media player (and at times for know reason at all) my system will just shut down - no warning at all. The applications are not particulary using up much memory in which case I have more than enough to support. Upon starting up again this is the error message that is showing up in the event viewer (Application)

3 inconsistencies were detected in property store during recovery of c:\system volume information\catalog.wci .

In the ErrrorContent index on c:\system volume information\catalog.wci is corrupt. Please shutdown and restart the Indexing Service (cisvc). It also states after that -

Ci Cleaning up corrupt content index metadata on C:\system volume information\catalog.wci. Index will be automatically restored by refiltering all documents. This sounds like it should help to clear the problem however, tis not the case.

This has been happening off and on for a while now could someone please help me as I would dearly like to get back to business without being shut down half way through and without losing work!
    I have gone through the virus, spybot, adware sequence to ensure that it is not related, and seem to be fine from that point of view at least.
    Thank you in advance :eek:

2. Holene

Holene

I am having the exact same issue and am running XP Server. It has been shutting down every night on it own and has several errors that I think may be the culprit. I get the exact indexing error as you do and also: The Security System could not establish a secured connection withthe server NDS/prisoner.iana.org. No authentication protocol was available. We have had this system running since January, but this just becoming an issue.

We have Symantec Antivirus that the Server pushes out to other PC's but not a firewall, except for our Router.

Any ideas.

Holene

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/258212

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice