1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System skipping

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by bob_munden, Oct 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bob_munden

bob_munden Thread Starter

My system has been skipping for a bit now, basically a few things are quite wrong to me, and them seem to get worse. In chronological order;
    • Crackling in the sound (I use optical audio with the Z5500 speakers from Logitech)
    • Small jitters/pauses from time to time
    • Jitters/Pauses got longer and more frequent
    • Video card crashing (im guessing caused by drivers)**
    • Very long Pauses
    • All video is affected (Youtube causes a massive pause after about 30seconds, window goes green - FLV player crashes/gets lines across the window)
    *Note: when it the video jitters, so does the sound
    **What I mean by crash is, the screen will go off completely (as if in sleep mode), recover and the message will appear in the task bar saying the driver crashed.
    System resources will go to 100% for a brief moment while the system is unresponsive (all cores and memory to 100%). After a cold boot, it will not start for about 10 minutes, then it will start slowly and within an hour get to where it is regularly.

The computer itself is fairley new (June 2011), the Hard Drive, though is from 2008, I used it on another build and basically recycled it, (reinstalled the OS multiple times since I bought it, clearing the drive each time.)

Things I have tried;
    • Kaspersky full scan
    • CCleaner
    • Disk fragmentation
    • Disk check
    • Updated all my drivers
    • Boot to only necessary programs with msconfig

My System;
    • OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate, 64 bit
    • Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
    • Processor Count: 8
    • RAM: 8174 Mb - G.Skill Ripjaw series 1600
    • Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570, 1280 Mb
    • Hard Drives: C: Total - 476836 MB, Free - 103627 MB - WD Caviar Blue
    • Motherboard: ASRock, P67 Extreme4
    • Antivirus: Kaspersky PURE, Enabled

I have gotten several error messages in Korean from Chrome, not sure what exactly they were saying. The screen will now pause when the sound does, then after a little while it will go back to normal but not before having the whole screen go black.

2. LagunaGTO

LagunaGTO Account Closed

As long as you're certain it's not a video driver issue... are you able to test a seperate video card out or an integrated one?

3. bob_munden

Swapped a 9800 GTX, same issue after about 10 minutes.

4. LagunaGTO

LagunaGTO Account Closed

You know for some reason I'm concerned if this is a PSU issue...

What size is your PSU and can you try a different one?

5. bob_munden

I'm using a 1000W Thermaltake PSU (also from 2008). I can't swap it, I don't have one that is at least 650W (minimum for my setup).

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1024884

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice