1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System Slow Down! - Possibly HDD....

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TheApprentice, Jan 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TheApprentice

TheApprentice Thread Starter

Hey all,

My system has been slowing down alot lately...
    The Memory, Processor etc...all seem to be working good...

But when I do stuff, such as accessing the HDD or copying files from HDD to HDD... it takes unusually longer than before...

Everything takes longer when using the Harddrive... and I reinstalled winodws 3 days ago...It actually works slower now with new windows than before...

I was reading about formatting HDD's a while ago..and it said that if the Harddrive was used before..then do a full format not a quick one...

>>>I've formatted my drive using the quick option at about 5 times in the past year...
    Could this be the problem?
    Should I back-up data once more and do a full format?

Also I occasionally hear soft buzzing sounds coming from the harddrive...Don;t know if this is good or bad cuz I think I've been hearing it for the past year...

2. Rich-M

Rich-M

I think you are on the right track...how about age and maker of hard drive. can I guess Maxtor and it's ide? Probably time to replace on suspicion alone. If nothing else put second drive in, use Acronis True Image to move over drive and then see if you have a different experience. You can always use old drive for storage as that puts way less stress on a hard drive than boopting.

3. TheApprentice

it is IDE and I believe its a Seagate drive.. (160gb)

Yea I was worrying about replacing it..I have so much data that I can't afford to lose...
    hmmm... So best option is to replace..right?

or get an additional?

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

I would.

5. TheApprentice

k thanks for keeping me on path then...

Know what to do now...

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536581

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice