System slow, Skype etc. not running

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Ulf

Hello,
I am using a newly installed laptop (Thinkpad X270) with an Intel Core i5-6200U 2.4 Ghz processor, 8 GB memory (2133 MHz) and an Intel HD Graphics 520. The system (OS win10) is super fresh, but when I'm using Skype (or Zoom etc) the connection is so bad, I can't even video call a single person. Is there something wrong with my laptop, or is the hardware just not good enough? According to the task manager, the network is not used to capacity, but the CPU and most of the memory is. Now, if I'm not mistaken, the memory should be more than enough, but I don't know about the graphic card and the processor. Can you give any advise? ps: there is no additional security software other than Win Defender, there is 100+ GB free, updates are up to date and drivers, too. There aren't many auto start programs either...
Thanks a lot in advance for your help and best regards,
Ulf

Couriant

James
Typically the connection is more network based than anything.

What is your internet plan?

Ulf

Hello,
Thanks a lot for the suggestion. I have to try out a Skype session to give you exact numbers, but I checked yesterday and according to the Task manager Skype didn't use the full capacity (or nowhere near) of the bandwidth. And the wlan connection in the house is good enough, too, I've used it with other devices. But Skype won't even let me have a one on one video chat without eating up 90-100% of CPU and more than half of the memory. So I thought it might be more graphics or core related. However, I've just made a speed test and it told me I have a dl speed ob 9mbps and upload 0,77 Mbps with a ping of 22. I'll have to check again for the usage during a Skype call, though, to give you exact numbers! ps: it has a Intel Dual Band Wireless AC 8260.
Thanks again and best regards,
Ulf

Ulf

Ah, one more thing:
I'm not used to Win10 so very much, but the task manager has a lot under processes - with a constant 25% usage of memory while no program is running (some 5% for the Win Defender, and another 2% for the Win Explorer, but the rest is distributed over what I assume to be plenty Windows services (UtcSvc, service hosts etc.) coming from Win7 I'm just not used to having more than a handful of processes running, but I keep wondering, even if all these processes just have 0,1-0,5% of memory usage, adding up to ~20% whether it's normal that Win10 uses up constantly about 2GB (25%) of the 8 GB Ram running idle? Apologies for such naive questions - and thanks again for your patience and help!

Ulf

Does anyone have any ideas? I would be really grateful for suggestions...

Ulf

Well, I guess you guys don't have any ideas, either. But thanks though! If noone should have any further suggestions, you can also close or delete this thread, thanks!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online