1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

system slows down for a few seconds

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rodeojones, Nov 11, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rodeojones

rodeojones Thread Starter

I've had a problem for some time now, and I'm absolutely stumped.

I've had problems when running mainly games. About every 60 seconds or so, my system will slow way down for about 5 seconds. Then it will pick back up again, and run just fine. It looks kinda like a lag, but it happens when I'm playing single player.

Here's what I've tried so far... Replace memory, replace video card (from a GeForce to a 3dfx 3000), replaced HD. Did a ctrl-alt-delete and removed everything but explorer, and systray. Did the adaware check, did a virus scan. Ran Scan disk, defrag, system clean up. Updated every driver that I could find. Updated BIOS.

Here are my specs...
    PIII 700 running on an ASUS CUSL2.
    3dfx Voodoo 3 16 mg (been swapping with a GeForce 32mg)
    384 megs of pc133 ram.
    SB Live! Value
    Netgear network card
    IBM Deskstar 40GXP
    Sony Spressa CD-r
    Toshiba DVD Drive

Here's what's in my startup programs from msinfo32...
    *StateMgr c:\windows\system\restore\statemgr.exe All Users HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
    LoadPowerProfile rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,loadcurrentpwrscheme All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    LoadPowerProfile rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,loadcurrentpwrscheme All Users HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
    Mirabilis ICQ c:\program files\icq\icq.exe -minimize .DEFAULT HKU\.DEFAULT\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    PCHealth c:\windows\pchealth\support\pchschd.exe -s All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    QuickTime Task c:\windows\system\qttask.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    RealTray c:\program files\real\realplayer\realplay.exe systemboothideplayer All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    ScanRegistry c:\windows\scanregw.exe /autorun All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    SchedulingAgent mstask.exe All Users HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
    SystemTray systray.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    TaskMonitor c:\windows\taskmon.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    WinampAgent "c:\program files\winamp\winampa.exe" All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Thanks for the help!

2. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

is that your startup???

If you have to many things sucking the juice out of RAM that may not completely restore when you remove them w/ alt-ctrl-del.

Why don't you stop them from loading on a reboot. In run/msconfig/start-up just uncheck them & reboot.

Also check for spyware ...
    Ad-Aware is a great software for that & free
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com

Hope that helps

Savvy :)

3. rodeojones

I removed everything from my startup, but the pauses are still occuring. I've already done the search for spyware, and actually found quite a few. They were removed about a week ago.

4. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

I went about a month w/ out scanning w/ ad aware... I had 33 on board.... that was a week ago. Last night i scannned again. There was 3 more.

This is something you have to watch constantly.

Savvy :)

5. tjsudo

tjsudo

Hi,

I don't know if it will work, but try setting your vcache in system.ini.

[vcache]
    MaxFileCache=24576
    MinFileCache=24576

I think 24mb would be enough.

TJ

6. rodeojones

Tried adding the VCache lines to my system.ini, still no joy.

:mad:

7. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

I don't have any other suggestions except that you might want to check w/ your ISP

sorry
    Savvy

8. rodeojones

I appreciate your help. I think it might be time for a new computer.

Thanks!

9. slipe

slipe

Since it didn’t help (sometimes does), unless you have Win95 you should rem out the vcache entries from system ini. That fixed vcache makes 24Mb of your RAM unavailable to your game or any other program – it is now reserved only for cache.

If you have ME, confirm your go-back feature is disabled. Also confirm Find Fast is not showing in Control Panel with any OS.

Sounds like something is hogging your CPU cycles on a recurring basis. It is hard to take a look while in most games. It might be happening in other programs but not showing up so much. I like TclockEX to alert me of unusual CPU activity and MS Wintop to figure out what exactly is causing a problem. Wintop will give a cumulative CPU use for each app since the last boot, so you might even be able to compare a shot before you play the game with one after to figure out what is powering up that shouldn’t.

WinTop is part of the Win95 kernel toys. I’ve used it for years in Win98 and presume it works in ME as well: http://www.dewassoc.com/support/useful/wintop.htm There are more sophisticated programs that will give you the same information plus a lot more.

The yellow bar across the top of the clock is CPU use. I eliminate the year and seconds to make it more compact and have it display a two digit readout of user resources to the left of the clock: http://users.iafrica.com/d/da/dalen/tclockex.htm

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/58249

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice