System Start up Errors

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

dennwhite

Hi,

I've got this old machine with great software that I would like to be able to use. It starts up with the following error messages.

1. Error loading powrprof.dll
A device attached to the system is not functioning.

This error rrepeats about three times.

2. Error starting program
The comdlg32.dll file is linked to missing export shlwapi.dll shreggetvaluew

This error repeats about nine times.

It is a win 98 4.10.1998
Dell pentium 2 desktop
intel mmx
192 mb ram

Any help would be appreciated

SDFOX 7

Banned
You will need to replace the current file in your system with a fresh copy from the Windows directory.

Code:
C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\INSTALL\WIN_10.CAB
Copy advapi32.dll.

Then
Code:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM
Paste the file copied here. "Yes" to replace the existing file.

If you have issues then
Code:
C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\INSTALL\WIN_14.CAB
Copy powerprof.dll

Then
Code:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM
Paste the file copied here. "Yes" to replace the existing file.

This should correct any corrupted files with fresh ones from your Windows directory.

Code:
The comdlg32.dll file is linked to missing export shlwapi.dll shreggetvaluew
To correct this, follow this TechGuy.org path from December 2004:

http://forums.techguy.org/earlier-versions-windows/308237-98-comdlg32-dll-error.html

dennwhite

SDFOX7,

Thanks for the quick reply. If CODE: means a particular subdirectory on my system then my system doesn't follow your instructuons compleatly. My system directory followed this path. C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\ but no install directory.
I searched for the file advapi32.dll and found it in two places one was C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM which is the copy you want me to replace, I think. and i also found a copy at C:\Program Files\AT&T\WnClient\Programs. The first version that I listed is 64k and dated 5/11/98. The last one is 241k and dated 10/5/2000.

As for following the instructions from the post of dec. 2004.

I searched for the folder win98_39.cab but only found a zip file by that name in C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS\

Sorry, but I didn't have much luck.

dennwhite

dennwhite

flavallee,

Thanks for the reply. I renamed the file "powrprof.dll" to powrprof1.dll. I then ran sfc.exe. It would not run though. I received the following error messages.
1. Error starting program. The COMDLG32.DLL file is linked to missing expoft SHLWAPI.DLLSHRegGetValueW.
2. A device attached to the system if not functioning.

dennwhite

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online