1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System Start up Errors

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by dennwhite, Apr 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dennwhite

dennwhite Thread Starter

Hi,

I've got this old machine with great software that I would like to be able to use. It starts up with the following error messages.

1. Error loading powrprof.dll
    A device attached to the system is not functioning.

This error rrepeats about three times.

2. Error starting program
    The comdlg32.dll file is linked to missing export shlwapi.dll shreggetvaluew

This error repeats about nine times.

It is a win 98 4.10.1998
    Dell pentium 2 desktop
    intel mmx
    192 mb ram

Any help would be appreciated

2. SDFOX 7

SDFOX 7 Banned

You will need to replace the current file in your system with a fresh copy from the Windows directory.

Code:
    C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\INSTALL\WIN_10.CAB
    Copy advapi32.dll.

Then
    Code:
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM
    Paste the file copied here. "Yes" to replace the existing file.

If you have issues then
    Code:
    C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\INSTALL\WIN_14.CAB
    Copy powerprof.dll

Then
    Code:
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM
    Paste the file copied here. "Yes" to replace the existing file.

This should correct any corrupted files with fresh ones from your Windows directory.

Code:
    The comdlg32.dll file is linked to missing export shlwapi.dll shreggetvaluew
    To correct this, follow this TechGuy.org path from December 2004:

http://forums.techguy.org/earlier-versions-windows/308237-98-comdlg32-dll-error.html

3. dennwhite

dennwhite Thread Starter

SDFOX7,

Thanks for the quick reply. If CODE: means a particular subdirectory on my system then my system doesn't follow your instructuons compleatly. My system directory followed this path. C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\ but no install directory.
    I searched for the file advapi32.dll and found it in two places one was C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM which is the copy you want me to replace, I think. and i also found a copy at C:\Program Files\AT&T\WnClient\Programs. The first version that I listed is 64k and dated 5/11/98. The last one is 241k and dated 10/5/2000.

As for following the instructions from the post of dec. 2004.

I searched for the folder win98_39.cab but only found a zip file by that name in C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS\

Sorry, but I didn't have much luck.

dennwhite

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
  5. dennwhite

dennwhite Thread Starter

flavallee,

Thanks for the reply. I renamed the file "powrprof.dll" to powrprof1.dll. I then ran sfc.exe. It would not run though. I received the following error messages.
    1. Error starting program. The COMDLG32.DLL file is linked to missing expoft SHLWAPI.DLLSHRegGetValueW.
    2. A device attached to the system if not functioning.

dennwhite

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/914764

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice