1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

system started randomly seizing, now does not boot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zatoichi, Nov 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zatoichi

zatoichi Thread Starter

Hi Guys -
    This was the first system I built on my own about 10 months ago and it worked great until a couple weeks ago. Upon running Bioshock game demo (no idea if related) system seized, i.e. image still on screen but no response/movement from mouse, keyboard, ctrl-alt-del and reset button. I could cut power and start up again and system would run for a while, but then the seizing happened during other applications (e.g. surfing).

When booting up after seizing, startup would load to motherboard/BIOS settings menu with a message that an attempt to overclock had failed (sorry, I don't have the exact wording - I had not changed any settings and had not overclocked anything, intentionally at least). After about six instances of seizing and restarting usually the next day, it now does not boot at all - turning on power activates processor fan, power lights and usb card lights, but no clicking or other indication of doing anything. Before dying I managed to uninstall game and updated Windows and utilities without effect. Any ideas what's going on or how to approach?

Intel E6400
    MSI P965 Platinum
    WD Caviar SE WD1600JS 160GB SATA
    A-Data 2x512 PC2 6400
    EVGA GT7600
    500W power
    Windows XP

Thanks!

2. ajefferson

ajefferson

I can't see the problem clear there, but I suspect the motherboard battery is dried/flat/hwtever. It looked like big watch battery.

Try to check it.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/649169

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice