1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System suddenly started slowing

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jmc, Sep 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jmc

jmc Thread Starter

A week ago, I finally gained a broadband connection (ADSL). It has been working perfectly this week, until now. My system is Windows 2000 Pro. I am running a small network through a Belkin modem, and a proxy server (which hasn't been running during most of these problems, but didn't affect them when I did start it...). I am NOT running a server.

For some odd reason, I'm suddenly having trouble with my system slowing almost to a stop, because services.exe is taking up 100% of my CPU's time. I've updated and run SpyBot, same with Norton Antivirus. I've uninstalled and reinstalled ZoneAlarm, newest version. I've reinstalled the modem drivers.

The problem seems to be related to my broadband connection somehow. When I start the BT Broadband connection, the program has started to hang, slowing the system to a stop, then suddenly freeing it up after 5 - 10 minutes. This happens whether or not NAV and ZA are actually running.

Most recently, I stopped mad.exe, which freed up the system, and it has been working fine . I've never noticed mad.exe in my processes before, and as I mentioned I'm not running 2000 Server. A previous time, stopping mad.exe did not affect the hanging BT Broadband connect dialog...

I also run DUMeter, it doesn't seem to be showing unusual network activity when the slowdown happens, so coupled with the negative scans of NAV and ZA, I don't think it is spyware or a virus.

But what is it? If it is mad.exe, why did it suddenly start running, and how do I safely get it to stop? Have I forgotten to include any important information?

2. jmc

jmc Thread Starter

3. jmc

jmc Thread Starter

Sorry, it's late here and I forgot to mention:

since this problem started, when I try to shut down my system, I'll get a dialog box that tfswctrl.exe isn't responding. When I have it close, I generally get a series of similar boxes, for whatever programs I still had up, culminating in explorer.exe before it finally does shut down.

At times, ccapp.exe has appeared, once program 00 appeared (I have *no* idea what this prog is, and the "ain't runnin'" dialog for this only appeared during one shutdown.

So far, mad.exe has stayed shut down, and my system is currently working fine. But I know the problem will be back as soon as I shut down again.

4. Flrman1

Flrman1

jmc

Shame to see you carrying on this thread here all alone.

I don't know if it will show anything or not but it may help to see a Hijack This log.

Please do this. Go here http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/ and download Hijack This. Un Zip it and click on the Hijackthis.exe.

Click the "Scan" button when the scan is finished the scan button will become "Save Log" click that and save the log.

Go to where you saved the log and click on "Edit > Select All" then click on "Edit > Copy" then Paste the log back here in a reply.

Do NOT have Hijack This fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless. Someone here will be glad to advise you on what to fix.

The log may reveal the source of the problem.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!