1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BML, Oct 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BML

BML Thread Starter

I'm thinking of upgrading my system but the amount of choices out there are staggering. You can see what I''m running now from my signature. It seems to be a bit slow when dealing with multiple applications open, and quality issues when burning DVDs. I work a lot with digital photos in photoshop (a resource hog by itself!) and my raw images from the camera are almost 50mb each. I might get a newer camera next year and so that size of the images I'm working with could double. I also have the internet and email open while I'm working so there are multiple things going on. If I'm burning a DVD I practically have to close everything else and wait. Same thing for virus scans. My computer doesn't seem to be too good at multi-tasking!

What would be a good suggestion for CPU/motherboard/memory? Does the quality of a DVD burned from a video file depend on how good your video card is? I imagine I'd need a new pci-express video card as I understand that almost all new mb's use pci-express instead of AGP. I could probably keep my LG DVD burner (IDE), I looked up the specs and it seems to be fairly close to what the new ones are.

And my ram - I'll probably need to replace it? Mine is DDR-400 (pc3200). I wonder if that could fit with a new faster board.

I'm confused with all the choices - AMD, intel, dual-core, quad-core, cpu socket type.....

2. music17

music17

To be honest with you, it sounds like all things you like to do on your PC is everything that a MAC is really good at. I endorse both Macs and PC's. I think that they both have their ups and downs. You may want to consider a new Mac to handle all of your pics and music movies etc. The format of the macs are much simpler so they can actually run several applications at once.

3. bigbear

bigbear

That a pretty old system you are running, I think its time to consider a new one.
    The Intel dual core 2 or quad cpus are leading the way at the moment and will certainly help with the multitasking.

4. BML

BML Thread Starter

Ok, how about this combination: Intel 945GC motherboard + Intel E8500 3.16 ghz processor. Any thoughts on these?

one thing i hate about building my own system is that upgrading is not always just as easy as popping in a new part. specs keep changing, as I mentioned its probably also going to require replacing my video card and memory. But also - my DVD writer internal drive. (LG GSA-4166B) I may need to replace it because I'm not having much luck burning DVDs so far. But the problem is, looking at all the new drives almost all of them have black panels! Mine is beige, because I selected that so it would match the front of my computer. Now it seems that hardly any DVD drives are made in beige! I really dont want to put a black one on there. Are new faceplates usually available from the mfgr for new DVD drives?

5. BML

BML Thread Starter

Any ideas?

also.... I'm going to need a new DVD burner drive but my case is beige. Can anyone recommend an internal IDE drive that is beige or else comes with a swappable beige faceplate? How is the ASUS model# DRW-1814BL or the Pioneer DVR-116D?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758807

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice