1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System Temps

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by computerwiz5, Feb 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. computerwiz5

computerwiz5 Thread Starter

What is the average case temp and the average cpu temp for a athlon xp 2000+

It was at 50 when i was installing some games but it was at 40ish when i was on word prcessor.

2. Rockn

Rockn

The temps are dependant on how good of a heat sink you get and how efficient at dissapating heat to the ambient air. I would personally look up rating for different heat sink/fan combos and if you really want to get extreme look at water cooling.

3. Jtoast

Jtoast

Generally 10 degrees above room temp.

I like to keep mine running no hotter than the low to mid 40's.

They are rated up to 90 before burnout but I have seen heat related instability as low as mid 50's.

4. 0tbyn8r

0tbyn8r

Hi computerwiz5

That temperature is about average. I use an Athlon as well and found that when using the standard components, you'll get those kind of readings. Unfortuantely, Athlons have never been known to be either quiet or cool. However. with a few changes you should be able to get the temp lower.
    Try a cooler like the Thermaltake Volcano. It'll drop the temperature to around 40. There's another cooler i'd like to try from Zalman. It's a passive cooler so should reduce noise as well. I installed one of their products to replace the fan on the Northbridge chipset. I've attached a picture of it.
    Also, you can read a review from Hardware Unlimited -

http://www.hardware-unlimited.com/reviews/june2002coolers/index4.shtml

Also, what other cooling methods have you adopted? Maybe installing an 80mm fan at the rear of your case would help as well. I use to be a bit of a cooling fan having had seven fans running in my case but i've reformed and have reduced it considerably. I found there was no need to have an intake fan at the front; it only caused turbulence in the case and didn't really allow for smooth passage of air. I just let the air flow in naturally now and then use the rear fans to eject the warm air. I found by removing the front case fan the temperature dropped about 1 or 2 degrees. But go with whatever works for you as others I know prefer a front and rear fan.

Hope this helps :)

Attached Files:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119407

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice