1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System tray question

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by horsefan, Sep 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. horsefan

horsefan Thread Starter

I am running a Dell dimension with WinXP which is about 2 years old. Recently, on occasion, when I click on a desktop icon, instead of opening that website, all of the icons will disappear from the desktop for a couple seconds then reappear as dat files then quickly changing back to the correct form. When this happens, all of the icons in the system tray except Norton antivirus disappear. Does anyone know what is happening and how I can correct it?

2. hittingrabbi

hittingrabbi

try fixing the internet explorer browser.
    as alot of times this causes icons to act weird,and as well will close the shortcuts to programs in your system tray.
    the programs are more than likely still running.
    just right click on the bottom of your system tray properties to make sure the tools option is still available.
    sometimes repairing explorer isnt enough,and you may have to uninstall and re-install again,dont forget to update the explorer fixes from the microsoft website,otherwise explorer may return to its goofy effects again.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/272421

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice