1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System upgrade advice!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by filerz, Nov 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. filerz

filerz Thread Starter

Hey
    I'm thinking of getting a i5 2500k, Asus P8Z68-V Intel Z68 and then I'm currently stuck on what memory to get. I have a A70 Corsair cooler to use with the CPU for over clocking. Any advice would be great, any recommended motherboards or ram? I am defiantly going to overclock. If im correct the multiplier is used heavily with the new CPUs which wouldn't affect the ram, so can i buy high 2000mhz ddr3 ram?

Cheers.

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    RAM selection (at least partially) is based upon the motherboard that is chosen.

3. filerz

filerz Thread Starter

Oh right, in what way?
    Also whats better to use, 3 sticks of ram tri channel or 2 sticks in dual channel?

4. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Because the motherboard chipset and cpu type/speed dictate the type and speed of the RAM that is supported.

Tri-channel or dual channel, again, is dictated by the motherboard chipset. Chipsets support one or the other, not both.

5. filerz

filerz Thread Starter

Ah Ok. Do you have a good recommendations? anything to stay away from?

6. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
  7. filerz

filerz Thread Starter

I decided to get the ASUS P8Z68-V, i5 2500k, and 8Gigs of corsair XMS3 1600mhz Ram dual channel. Cant wait :)

8. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Very capable hardware...Enjoy!

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1025886

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice