1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System/Video BIOS shadowed

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Juanca, Dec 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Juanca

Juanca Thread Starter

I updated the BIOS on my Thinkpad R31 to what I believe is the latest version available (3.11), prior to upgrading the RAM memory. The computer runs on Windows XP, and it did not have any problems until I upgraded the memory from 512K to 1Gb.

The first time I turned on the computer, Windows started fine. I tired to install a new USB wireless adapter, and while running the installation wizzard the computer shut down and rebooted. I got a beep and a message saying that something was wrong with my anti-virus (Avast!). Windows did not start, and the computer kept rebooting until I would turn it off by holding the power button for a few seconds. Then I would get a black screen with messages reading "passed" for the memory, and "shadowed" for both the system and the video BIOS. Now I turn the computer on, and It goes straight to the windows welcome screen, displaying the icon of a user (it does not show the black screen with the system information anymore). When I click on the icon of the user, it does not prompt for a password (the computer was not set up to ask for a password to start windows). It shows the desktop - without any icons - for a fraction of a second, and then it goes back to the welcome screen. The only alternative I have from there is to click the shut down button.

Your help will be appreciated.

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Change the ram back to the 512 mb stick. And see if problem still occurs, if all goes back to normal, then the new ram is faulty. Remember to hold ram sticks by the edges and don't touch the chips - static electricity will kill the ram.

3. Juanca

Juanca Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply lunarlander. I replaced the chips and went back to 512K of memory, and the problem persists.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1030375

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice