1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System Voltage Low

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Valentine1, Feb 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Valentine1

Valentine1 Thread Starter

When I boot my computer up I get a message that says, "Systems voltage is low". Then it tells me if I want to continue, press F1. The system then operates fine but what's the problem and what's the fix? Why do we get this message? We are using Windows XP.

2. cmw2010

cmw2010

First thing I would do is replace the CMOS battery.

3. Rich-M

Rich-M

Could you tell us the pc brand or components or both, especially age and power supply wattage as well.

4. Valentine1

The brand is a Dell -8300; we bought it in 2000; power supply (voltage) is 115 and the battery is 3 volts.

5. cmw2010

cmw2010

Does your error message say "System voltage low" or "System battery voltage is low" either way the cheapest first step would be changing the 3 volt battery.

6. Frank4d

Frank4d Trusted Advisor

If you don't have a computer shop nearby, many pharmacies carry CR2032 batteries. :D

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

That sounds more like a P/S issue. Let's move you over to hardware, this isn't likely to be a software issue. :)

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If it's noticing that the system voltage is low, you probably have an option in the BIOS to see the voltage monitor. Try downloading SpeedFan, it will allow you to check the power supply voltages.

9. Valentine1

We got a battery and couldn't believe that it wasn't a huge expense. A new battery did the trick. Seemed like an obvious thing but we've never had that message before on any of our computers over the years. Thanks!

10. Valentine1

John thank you for helping out. I really got off track with a bunch of junk. A new, real reasonable priced battery did the trick. I DO appreciate you guys staying on top of things!

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540614