1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System Volum Information Virus

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by JonTheCanuck, Oct 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JonTheCanuck

JonTheCanuck Thread Starter

i have a virus in that folder which is described in this link http://forums.techguy.org/t166659/s.html and i would've replied but it was locked, sorry for creating a new thread, but when i try the advice given there, it says "cacls is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable progra, or batch file" someone plz help, i got like 86 infected files :( oh and i also have windows xp home edition, does that make a difference?

2. putasolution

putasolution

Try temporarily disabling System restore

Make sure your AV is up to date, do a full scan

If you are happy that your computer is clean, re-enable System restore

3. JonTheCanuck

no luck, housecall finds the 86 infected files in my c:/system volume and information folder, and i have the up to date norton antirvirus 2003 and it doesn't even detect the files housecall does... the viruses r "worm SDDROP.C and BKDR SDBOT.14176 and worm NACHI.A"

4. putasolution

putasolution

Huh?:confused:

SDDROP.C = W32.Kwbot.F.Worm, so Norton should find it

Did you do the Norton Scan Before or After turning off the system Restore?

Did you do the Housecall scan Before or After turning off the system Restore?

The reason I ask is that Turning off system restore DELETES ALL System restore points which may explain why Norton doesn't find them. If you were to do a housecall scan, housecall wouldn't find anything either

5. JonTheCanuck

i scanned with norton before and after turning system restore off, didn't find anything... i dunno how to access the folder "system volume information" as thats where housecall detects the viruses, and i scanned with housecall before turning system restore off, i'm now doing it again with system restore off

6. putasolution

putasolution

Read this article from Norton about system volume information

7. JonTheCanuck

hmm odd, after turning off system restore, housecall doesn't find viruses anymore... what the heck? thx for yur help putasolution

8. putasolution

putasolution

As I said, by turning off system restore, you deleted the system volume information folder, and you can't have a virus in a folder that doesn't exist.

Don't forget to turn system restore back on again, and create a restore point

9. JonTheCanuck

will do, thx again!

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169556

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice