1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System volume corruption (continued)

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Jamasto, Oct 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jamasto

Jamasto Thread Starter

Jamasto:
    Ok so i closed my laptop like i do everynight only to find in the morning it would not boot properly. It kept takin me to the system restore options. i ran a check and the problem it found was a system volume corruption which was unable to fix automatically. I cannot boot normally still and dont no what to do. Any ideas? please reply
    thanks

Evandil (moderator):
    Ran what check? Can you boot from the DVD? If so, get a command prompt and try chkdsk /f or /r on the drive.

Jamasto:
    when i turn computer on it comes up with 2 options. start windows recovery or start windows normally which takes me 2 a blank screen. when i enter windows recovery... it says choose operating system or load drivers but cant find anything... when i click next with nothing selected on that menu i ran the windows recover option and it said volume corruption so i clicked fix automatically. but that then came up with an error sayin that its unable 2 automaticly fix itself. I did chkdsk command but and it just says "the type of file system is NTFS cannot lock current file"
    if i choose system restore to resume windows to earlier point in time... it comes up with error saying "to perform an offline system restore you must choose installation u wud like to restore.
    Have no idea what to do...
    what u think?

Evandil (moderator):

Try clicking the Normally option and then immediately start tapping F8. See if you get a boot menu. If you do, try Safe Mode With Command Prompt, Safe Mode, or even Last Good.

Before running chkdsk, try the command "map". That should show you all your drives. Maybe you are trying to run chkdsk on the recovery partition you are working from and that is why it is in use. Try specifying the drive:

chkdsk C: /f

2. Jamasto

Jamasto Thread Starter

When i get into the boot menu by tapping F8, i cannot run in safe mode, safe mode with command prompt, or any other options... when i select one it automatically reboots itself and im back to square one -_-

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758665

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice