1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

system volume info folder is > 1.5 gb

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by sahil_2220, Apr 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sahil_2220

sahil_2220 Thread Starter

I have four partitions all ntfs
    c: no os
    d: xp sp 2
    e: server 2003 r2
    f: 100gb of which 15gb free

i have not formatted any of my drives for more than 1 year. but in the mean time i have installed and deleted xp sp2 5 times in partitions c:, d: and e:. through the following steps
    install the new os in the desired partition
    edit and save the boot.ini file

my problem:
    as i was defragmenting f: i found a file in system volume info that is more than 1.5gb.
    but when i click properties it shows 0bytes occupied in both the os.

i want to delete this file. even if that means deleting of restore points. it might be that the file has been created by an os that is no more there io the system.

so please suggest me ways and measures to delete this big file in system volume info

2. bbearren

bbearren

Turn off System Restore for all drives, and do it from each OS. That will delete all old restore points. Then if you want to use System Restore, turn it back on, but from the XP SP2 partition, uncheck the drive that has Server 2003, and from the Server 2003 partition, uncheck the drive that has XP SP2. Divide the other partitions between the two OS.

You don't want to have both OS monitoring all drives for System Restore--you'll end up with restore points that won't work.

3. sahil_2220

sahil_2220 Thread Starter

thanks for replying: bbearren
    i will try to do as u have explained.
    and hope that some of the space is gained back.
    and if by chance there is any restore point file created by earlier os will it be deleted too....???

4. bbearren

bbearren

When System Restore is turned off, it deletes all restore points. The "System Volume Information" folder is still there, but there are no restore files in it.

When You turn System Restore on, it immediately creates a new restore point.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/818247

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice