1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"System Volume Information" folder won't go "hidden"

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by msgtgumby, Jun 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. msgtgumby

msgtgumby Thread Starter

All of the sudden my "System Volume Information" folders (the system restore folders) on all of my hard drives are shown even when viewing hidden files is off. Tried to mark them hidden, but it won't let me. Anyone have a clue as to why they would suddenly unhide themselves and not allow me to hide them again? This is on XP Pro with no service pack1 installed. Just bugs me they did that all of the sudden. Haven't installed anything recently except Paint Shop Pro 7 and Easy CD Creator 5.2 plus the update patch to 5.3.

Thanks,

Smith

2. WindowWizard

WindowWizard

Someone changed your folder view settings. Recheck the Hide Protected Operating system files option and change the Hidden files and folders option back to Do not show hidden files and folders.

3. msgtgumby

msgtgumby Thread Starter

That option is checked though, thats the problem :(

Smith

4. WindowWizard

WindowWizard

If both options are checked uncheck them and then reboot. After the reboot recheck them and see if that works.

5. msgtgumby

msgtgumby Thread Starter

Okay, cool, did that. Now on my main drive (C) it's hidden. However, my slave drive still shows it on all of the partitions (D, E, F & G). Any other ideas by any chance? This is just weird...

Thanks,

Smith

6. WindowWizard

WindowWizard

That is weird.. I'll do some checking and get back to you

7. msgtgumby

msgtgumby Thread Starter

No one has a clue? Doh.

Smith

8. Bulldog

Bulldog

Turn system restore off for those other drives, reboot, then turn it back on for them...maybe. :)

9. Lahru

Lahru

Ensure that you still have administrative privlidges and that you have 'Full control' to the Drives/Directories/files where they are stored.

10. msgtgumby

msgtgumby Thread Starter

Bulldog, tried, didn't work, good thought though. When going to do that though I did notice something. It said my System Restore was suspended because I didn't have enough space on one of my drives. Which I know was true at one point because I temporarily dumped a huge amount of files on one of my partitions (knocking a 5GB partion down to 150MB) while cleaning off some of my other ones. But then, a few minutes later when I was done cleaning out junk, I spread the files back out among the other partitions so the space was available again. System Restore is susposed to re-enable itself once the space is again available, mine didn't...

Lahru, yeah I do, the Admin account is the only account I created.

But you know I just thought of something. System Restore is only for system change. My slave drive partitions are only used for data storage, no installs. I'm just gonna turn it off for the slave and delete the folders, it's pointless to have it on.

Though it does still bother me that Restore did this in the first place.

Smith

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/138922

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice