1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System Whining

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by NewtonW, Sep 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. NewtonW

NewtonW Thread Starter

One of my systems has started whining.. I've disabled and ruled out fans. What else could it be. Its a constant, high pitched, rhythmic oscillating whine. Not real loud, but its noticible and very annoying. It seems like its coming from the motherboard, but its one of those things you can't exactly tell where its coming from..

P4 1.7, Intel D850MV mobo, 512mb RDRAM...

TIA
    -Newton

2. winbob

winbob

Electronic circuits, like in computers use ocillator clocks for many purposes. Sometimes these can start emitting audible sounds. Even very high Freq ones can have audible Harmonics due to interaction with other components.

Open the case and use a rubber or vinyl tube as a stethoscope to locate the component. Once you locate it....what you do about it is anyone's guess!! But at least you know what, or where the cause is.

3. rockinmale

rockinmale

There is a fan installed in your power supply. Maybe that one could be the culprit. Then again the age of the power supply should tell you if that fan could be a possible cause.

Do you have a quality power supply or one of these $10-$20 el'cheapo power supply? The reason im asking is these cheap psu's use cheap sleeve bearing fans and they tend to make noise and fail down the road.

4. junglejeff

junglejeff

It's likely a fan, but often it can be the Hard drive spinning or in some cases just taking the CD out of the drive can solve your problem.

5. NewtonW

NewtonW Thread Starter

Not a fan.. I stopped them all, even the one on the power supply.. Not a HD or CD spinning up. I think winbob has the best explanation. I believe its time to retire this system or at least the mobo... I'm going to give it a really good listen though and see if I can isolate anything..
    Thanx for all the help..

-Newton

6. brite750

brite750

How did you run system after stopping psu fan?

7. NewtonW

NewtonW Thread Starter

I stopped the fan with a q-tip for a few seconds. Not recomended I admit, but it worked out OK..

-Newton

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/269230

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice