1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System will not boot past the bios

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by john-t, Jan 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. john-t

john-t Thread Starter

Hello
    I am not sure if this is a hardware problem,bios or software but here goes.

The system will not boot beyond the bios/starting windows stage.
    The problem occured after a shut down and pc was rebooted the next day.
    No recent alterations to the hardware or configuration has been made.
    My system will not boot and gives me the following message.
    Windows could not start. the following file is missing or corrupt \windows\system32\config\system
    insert windows cd and press r to repair.

My System is as follows Windows xp home with sp3 . Asus a8v deluxe motherboard with AMD athlon64 3200+ processor
    Ami bios 08-00-09
    Fitted with two Maxtor 80gb hard drives sata serial ata

I did not have a windows xp disc as it was preloaded by the manufacturer when I bought it.
    After trying all manner of ideas to solve the problem , I have now purchased a Windows xp cd with sp3.
    This has still not solved the problem. When I boot up using the xp cd it loads ok, but when I try and do a repair it says Hard drives not found.
    I have checked that both hard drives are properly connected.
    When I enter the bios they are set to auto and shown as ft tx ary1 and ft tx ary 2
    Further in the bios it says Serial ch0 master no device and serial ch1 master no device and lists the following
    ID Mode Size Track-mapping Status
    1 1+0 stripe 81964m 9964/225/63 functional
    2 1+0 stripe 81964m 9964/225/63 functional

How do I made the system see the hard drives ?
    I hope that someone can help with this frustrating problem

Thanks in advance John

2. Rache

Rache Banned

Some bios have a facility to locate all hds; it's worth a try. Failing that try getting to a command prompt using the repair consul on cd and type in either:
    chkdsk /r
    fixmbr
    fdisk / mbr

3. olryst

olryst

You may need the motherboard raid drivers for xp to see the hard harddrives.

You can either press f6 when it says and use a floppy, or make a slipstreamed cd with drivers already on it.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The above is correct; you need to load the sata drivers for xp to be able to see the hard drives. You download this from the asus site.

Next if there is anything important on your drives ie docs, pics, etc, I would highly advise you to pull the drive and copy/backup whatever is important to you. Do this before attempting any repair or clean install.

5. john-t

john-t Thread Starter

I have got the raid drivers and put them on a floppy.
    Rebooted with xp cd in drive and the floppy in drive A:
    pressed F6 and it loaded to the repair option page
    selected r and eventualy it arrives at C:\windows but does not boot into windows proper.
    Tried chkdsk /r and this says checking and repairing and after it gets to 100% returns to C:\windows

Tried rebooting as normal and it still doesn't see the hard drives.

looked at fixmbr but didn't try it because it gives me a warning message.

What do I do from here

Thanks John.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Have you done what I posted ie pull the drive and copy anything important?

7. john-t

john-t Thread Starter

I have not got access to the files yet only C:/windows and that only contains windows files.

How do I boot into full C + d drive access from where I am at the c: prompt

Thanks

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You need to pull the drive and connect to a working system OR boot with a linux live CD and copy whatever you want. If you are not comfortable with linux, then pull the drive and connect to a working system.

9. john-t

john-t Thread Starter

I think you are slightly missing the point, I have tried Linux previously but it doesn't recognise the hard drives.
    As I said at the start the bios says that hard drive ch0 and ch1 not installed.

I think that I need a new driver for the sata raid drives but which one and from where
    Asus, Maxtor, Via tech or promise I have tried a driver from promise but that didn't do anything.
    With regards to trying the drive on another pc, the only other one I have is the one I am sending this from and the drive in this is is the older ata ribbon cable type and not a sata one.

Any ideas about the driver ?

thanks

the

10. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Do the XP CD boot again, press F6 but DON'T press R at the first screen press Enter, then follow the instructions to do a repair of the existing XP.

11. john-t

john-t Thread Starter

Did this but it doesn't offer me a repair option, only an option to install windows.
    I don't want to go too far with that option in case it formats any files.

Right from the initial boot the bios does not see any hard drives.

The system worked fine and the mobo has never given me any trouble or been changed in any way apart from a possible bios update at some point, which I cant be 100% about.

It has got me totally baffled !!!

12. olryst

olryst

You can reinstall windows without formating.

You select leave current file system intact, which would be under the quick and full format options.

You would have to reinstall drivers and some programs as they would be there, but not associted with the new install.

13. john-t

john-t Thread Starter

I am still convinced that the problem lies with Asus or Via tech bios being corrupted or the mbr, as right from the start the bios does not see any hard drives.

Can anyone else help please

John

14. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Go into the Bios > Advanced > Onboard Devices Configuration > Onboard Promise Controller > Operating Mode and change it from 'Raid' to 'IDE' then press the F10 key to save and exit.

Does it boot to XP now ?

15. satanicguardian

satanicguardian

John, if i were you, transfer your hard drives to a working system as data drives, boot that system, transfer all your important files, put the hard drives back in ur normal system, reset your bios by removing all power sources and the small silver battery for about 5 mins to be sure, put battery back in and when ur pc enters bios, boot from your xp cd, format both drives and do fresh installs, then put one of ur hard drives back in the other system to get your documents back :)

Worth a try, its what i would do in your situation

Good luck!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973503

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice