1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System will not return after "standby"

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Davka99, Mar 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Davka99

Davka99 Thread Starter

I have a four-year-old Windows XP Professional system. My display adapter is Sapphire Radeon 9200 Atlantis which I use with an Apple Cinema display.

About a week ago, my system stopped being able to come back after standby mode. I press the enter key, and I hear the fan in the system box and see hard drive lights flashing. But my display remains black (sometimes I get the windows blue), and I have to do a hard reboot. I suspect the problem may have to do with my display adapter. One time, the system did reawaken, and I got an error message saying the display adapter had experienced problems. (Sorry, did not write down the error message.) I tried updating the display adapter driver, but it did not help. I also went to Windows update and made sure I was up to date on all of the pieces of Windows. Any other suggestions?

2. akolagtech

akolagtech

Try to remove the drivers and install a fresh one I mean the latest one. It should be a driver issues

3. Davka99

Davka99 Thread Starter

I'm worried if I uninstall the driver, I will not be able to see the screen at all. Or will the system load some generic driver?

4. akolagtech

akolagtech

no you will be able to see the screen, the only thing is that it will looks different compare to when you have the driver

5. Davka99

Davka99 Thread Starter

Thanks for the help so far... but alas, the problem persists. I uninstalled the video drivers, and re installed a fresh copy that I downloaded from the ATI website. No luck. Could this be a display adapter hardware problem? Or could this be a problem in XP? Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

6. akolagtech

akolagtech

It could be hardware issue, if you are using a desktop, I will suggest that you use another video card to see it it works. I dont think it could be xp problem if it, that would be drivers issue but that's not the case now because you already reinstall the driver

7. Davka99

Davka99 Thread Starter

Thanks Akolagtech. I will give it a try.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/690021

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice