1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

system won't boot after trying to revert Windows Media 10 to previous version{Fatal e

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by joeAgain------, Mar 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. joeAgain------

joeAgain------ Thread Starter

I'm running a dual boot system with both XP and W2K on separate partitions. I'm ONLY able to boot and write this NOW because I've booted to the W2k side.
    My Main used OS side of my computer(running XP Pro) cratered when I tried to uninstall Windows Media Player 10 in my Control Panel. It actually said that it was going to not unibstall it, but revert back to the previous version(I recently ungraded to version 10 to try to play some of my stored video files that wouldn't play on 9).

Anyway after doing the "reversion" and telling me I needed to restart to complete the process(to which I chose "Yes", and it shutdown and tried to restart), now it never can restart....and on ever attempt I get the message:

"STOP: c000021a{Fatal System Error}
    The Windows Logon Process System process terminated unexpectedly with a status o"
    "The system has been shut down".

Just before it told me to restart to complete the reversion process about 4 SpyBot S&D Teatimer Registry change prompts came up. I checked "remember" and chose to allow each of those registry changes(thinking it was proper, since I was changing versions from 10 back to 9). But now I can't even boot in XP in Safe Mode...and Always get that Fatal Error message on a blue screen as it freezes and won't boot to XP any more. I've looked for System Restore in my Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools area and see no System Restore listed.

What can I do to recover from this and use my XP OS again where 99% of all my programs are that I use daily. Can I get my XP back to starting again?

Please!
    Thank you.

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

If you can't boot in Safe Mode, how can you determine whether "System Restore" is present in "Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools"?

3. joeAgain------

I'm booting and writing this on the W2K side of my dual partitioned OS. It boots OK. I was looking in the W2K System Tools, Rog. (hoping I could "sysytem Restore the disk that both partitions are on)

4. joeAgain------

I think when Cookiegal helped me get my XP stystem restore up again, she told me only to have the computer monitor the partition XP is on, not the W2K one.

Maybe she intended me to tell it to monitor both partitions after solving the problem, but we never got around to doing that. I guess.

5. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Well Win2k has no System Restore; and of course even if it did it would be useless for XP.

Did you try "last known good configuration" from the startup options? I actually wouldn't expect this to work for this particular error, but it's always worth a try.

Since you have a parallel install it may be possible for you to do a partial "manual" restore from Win2K.

If you have an XP CD, you can also use it to load the recovery console.

See:

http://attachments.techguy.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=62075

This is a difficult and advanced procedure, but it's all I have for you.

The first part, and ONLY the first part can be carried out from Win2k -- BUT you will have to pay attention to file paths and make sure what you are entering is appropriate to your XP installation. You could also probably just use normal file copy methods to backup and substitute the HIVES in this first part.

Also, you can't afford to make mistakes, so it has to be done very carefully.

You should visibly review the contents of the "windows\repair" folder before proceeding. The system hive may be "system.bak" rather than "system"

Note that all command lines are entered as one line with appropriate spacing. The doc will line break into two lines in some places.

ALL THREE parts of the procedure must be completed.

Before proceeding I would copy all personal data that you wish to save from XP to 2K.

6. joeAgain------

How do I do a revert to the "last known good configuration"?

7. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

It's available from the F8 boot menu.

Joe, is your XP installation Home or Pro? If you right click on the "root" directory of the XP installation and select "Properties", is there a "Security" tab?

8. joeAgain------

Sorry, Rog...I thought I'd mentioned it's Pro.

Forgive me, but what do you mean by "right click on the "root" directory of the XP installation"?

9. joeAgain------

boot to XP, the hit F8, then "Last known good configuration" did not work, just as you'd said, Rollin'.

What's that about getting to the root directory, please?

10. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

The system "root" directory is normally the "c:" directory -- but I don't remember how yours was configured.

From Win 2K browse to the drive on which XP is installed. Right click on the root directory as you would any folder. Select Properties.

Since you have PRO you should see a Security tab.

Select "everyone". Note the current permissions configuration -- write it down.

Now grant "everyone" full control. Select the Advanced tab.

Select "everyone". Select "Edit". Write down the current configuration. Select "apply onto" and select "this folder, subfolder and files".

Check ALL the Allow boxes.

OK your way out.

Now try booting XP. If it succeeds, try doing a System Restore to a date prior to these problems.

If it succeeds, you will need to return to this Security tab and restore the default configuration

11. joeAgain------

Did all that now, but still same blue screen and won't boot to XP.
    I'll so discouraged!!

Do you think if I go into the D drive, where XP is(thru C and W2K) and uninstall Spybot, it will revert the registry changes I allowed in that "teatimer" to change be restored back to the previously original registry for those items?

12. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I don't know how you can uninstall Spybot without booting XP.

You could try renaming the "Spybot" folder Spybotbak to prevent it from starting.

13. lycos5

lycos5

Are you able to boot up in command prompt ? That's another option when you use f8

14. joeAgain------

Yes,
    I've got to go do some crucial business now ans will be bacxk in awhile.

ANY helkp anyone can give me to get the XP paretition OS booting will be REALLY appreciated.

Damn...should Never have tried to uninstall(EVEN REVERT TO EARLIER VERSION AS IT SUGGESTED!!) a microsoft program

15. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Wait, you ARE able to boot to Safe Mode with Command Prompt in XP?

Doesn't make any sense if can't boot to Safe Mode. But if you can, you can run System Restore:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304449

>> see "EDIT" at bottom of page before reading this>

I'm going out for a while too, but if you can't use System Restore in the normal manner, I'm going to try to give you a simplified version of the "crashed" doc which makes use of the fact that you have access to the XP drive and its Security tabs.

1 >> In Folder Options > View, check "show hidden files and folders" and UNcheck "Hide Protected System Files..." You may need to do this both in 2K and XP drives.

2 >> in XP now, follow these directions to gain access to the System Volume Information folder:

*this is from Step 7 of the "crashed" document

3 >> now just verify that you can DO this and SEE the files in the Snapshot directory:

Can you see the files there (examine Steps 8\9 of the crashed document)

3 >> If you can, now do this:

> navigate to [driveletter]windows\system32\config

You should see 5 registry hive files there: System, Software, Sam, Security, and Default.

Right click on each and give it a .bak extension; eg: System.bak

When that is done, return to the System Volume Snapshot folder and select a date that precedes this problem. You may have to view the details tab of view to see the dates.

Copy each of these files to a NEW folder:

_registry_user_.default
    _registry_machine_security
    _registry_machine_software
    _registry_machine_system
    _registry_machine_sam

Rename each to: default, security, software, system and sam

Now copy the default, security, software, system and sam hives to

[driveletter]windows\system32\config

Once that is done, try rebooting XP

>>> If you have any questions about this, wait and ask me before proceeding.

edit

The more I think about this the more I wonder whether restoring older registry hives will get past this error. Initially only registry entries are restored by this, and if it allows Windows to boot, then a System Restore must be done to restore actual files.

But this problem may be caused by Spybot restoring a file version that is incompatible with the current configuration.

Before you attempt to do the above, maybe I can run a debugger on the STOP error and figure out just which file or program is causing it.

>>> Navigate to XPDRIVE\Windows\Minidump

Here are .dmp files created by STOP errors; they are numbered by date -- so you should have some that lookk like 031806.dmp

Copy a couple of these to a NEW folder; then close the folder and zip the folder. In XP you can right click and select "compress to (folder name).zip. I don't know what you have in Win2k.

But once you have the folder with a .zip extension, use the manage attachments option in the Advanced reply window to upload it here.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/450809

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice