1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System won't boot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Thomas90909090, Oct 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thomas90909090

Thomas90909090 Thread Starter

Hi, I have a Asus strix z390-f motherboard with a Intel core i5 9600kf and 16gb of corsair ram. Nvidia 980 with a 500gb nvme boot sad and a 2tb hdd. The system started up fine and has been working fine for the last week since I put it together. But today I went to turn it on and it's only booting to bios. It detects the drives but isn't detecting them as boot drives. I have tried clearing the cmos and reseting the bios but to no avail. Does anyone else have anything I could try short of reinstalling Windows As I don't have any backups of the data in the system.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Boot the system with a linux live usb. Copy whatever data you need ie pics, work files, whatever. Once that is secure, then attempt to fix the system. I checked the support page for that board. There is a bios update that addresses drive compatibility; are you running the latest bios?
    If linux will not see/mount the drive or drives, then the drive has a problem. Use linux ubuntu or MX linux for this task.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I have a saying "Data you do not backup is data you do not care about AND you should, at some time, expect to lose said data"
    All drives fail; it is only a question of when your drive will fail.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1233706

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice