1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System won't recognize 2nd hard drive

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by KK1962, Jan 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KK1962

KK1962 Thread Starter

I have a dual boot system with an older hardrive 3.2G with WIN 95 on it as the Primary IDE master and a new 40g hard drive with WIN 2000 Professional on it (Secondary IDE Master.) I used NTFS on the 2000 and FAT 32 is on the old one. There wasn't any problem until I upgraded the 95 to 98SE so I could network this pc to another one I have running WIN XP. Now when I boot the dual boot pc the new hardrive doesn't show up during the POST and when I get to the message for which OS to use...if I select 2000 it says WIN 2000 could not start because of a computer diskhardware configuration problem. If I select win 98 that OS will load up no problem. The 2nd hard drive is listed in the BIOS. So myquestion is what happened? How come now the system won't recgnize the 2nd hard drive ? It was ok when it was 95 and 2000.

2. brianF

brianF

When you installed win98 you overwrote the bootloader files for 2k.

They are always stored on the C drive, once a dual boot is established any upgrade to the c drive os will damage the bootloader files.

See this article, it has to do with winme but running the recovery console should be the correct way to correct the problem.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q293401

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65646

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice