1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Systen Restore Problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Steve78, Jan 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Steve78

Steve78 Thread Starter

When I try to access System Restore I get the following message: "System Restore encountered an error trying to enable/disable one or more drives. Please restart your machine and try again." I notice that others had the same problem and some suggestions were given to correct it. I tried those suggestions but my problem remains. I have Service Pack 3 while the others with this problem had SP2. My computer is a Lenovo R60e with Windows Xp Professional. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

2. Rache

Rache Banned

Have you tried in safemode too?

3. Steve78

Steve78 Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. Yes I tried in safe mode and received this note:"System Restore has been turned off and can not be restarted in Safe Mode".

4. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

Google command line system restore; happens right at startup. Have you turned off System Restore for all non-system drives?
    If all else fails, the UBCD4Win boot CD has a registry restore utility that will get the job done.

5. Steve78

Steve78 Thread Starter

System Restore had been turned off when I received this used Lenovo R60 computer.
    Where can I get a copy of the UBCD4Win iso file so I can make a boot CD? I understand the exe version of the file is available but requires using the Windows XP Operating System CD to be able to produce the iso file. I do not have a copy of the Windows OS CD. Is there some way I can obtain (even an old version) of the UBCD4Win iso file?

6. tech-win

tech-win

7. Steve78

Steve78 Thread Starter

When I follow the procedure for reinstalling SR, I end up with the message "srclient.dll file not found".

8. tech-win

tech-win

See if pointing to the "C:\Windows\i386" folder helps. It may have the source file required. In some systems, it's C:\i386 or D:\i386. If not, you may need a Windows XP CD.

9. ANUPAMMITRA

ANUPAMMITRA It's My Birthday!

I also got the same message, as mentioned my STEVE78. My configuration is Windows XP Professional, Version 2002, Service Pack 3. My computer was affected by virus and that has been cured by installing Anti Virus. Though everything has been solved but except this one.

10. Steve78

Steve78 Thread Starter

:) PROBLEM SOLVED!! Thank you so much. I went back to the reinstalling SR procedure you suggested and had to look for several more necessary files which I located using the Windows SEARCH program. After the last file was entered I got the message to restart my computer. After the computer was restarted I was finally able to turn on SYSTEM RESTORE.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/977375

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice