Systme Fiel not suitable for running MS-DOS and Windows applications?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

j_tm

When I got up today and tried ot log onto my computer at around noon, I got this funny little pop up error, that says:

16 Bit MS-DOS Subsytem
C:\Windows\Explorer.exe
C:\Windows\System32\Autoexec.nt. The System file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Windows applications. Choose 'close' to terminate the application.

And I am given an option to Ignore or close. I don't know where this error came from, as I am usually a pretty safe person online, and run Spy/adware sweeps almost every night; and have done my best to keep up with Anti-Virus software despite Mcaffee subscription running out aroudn2 months ago. I can post a screen shot..if I can ever figure out how. Oh, and I can stull run programs..just..only through task manager, I have no icons or start menu on my desk top :'(

j_tm

Thanks, that's helped out quite a bit, but I still kind of havea problem now though. I don't get my desktop Icons or start menu. I still have ot use the Taks Manager to go through and do whatever on my computer :(

Sounds like damaged system files are the root cause.

Run System File Checker.

Start - Run - type "SFC /scannow"
Dont type the "", and be sure to put a space between "SFC" and " /scannow"
Hit enter, and a dialogue window should appear for a few minutes to give progress, you may need to feed it your XP CD if its asks (unless it was preinstalled, in which case it should find the files itself)

The window just goes away on completion, try a rebbot and see if that helps.

j_tm

Well, that didn't work. :( It took from 6:30 pm - 2:45-3:00am-ish and I still don't get a start menu or icons when my computer starts :(

j_tm

That's it? :( What a waste of 9.5 hours, and it still doesn't work :(

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online