1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

systray clock showing abnormal dates

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by somak_de, Feb 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. somak_de

somak_de Thread Starter

I am facing a serious problem. My computer (p3 859 mhz,windows me, 20 gb hard drive,128mb ram) systray clock showing strange timings .Right now it showing the date 4th January,1980. everytime I restart it the date changes to another. Moreover some times while starting the computer it moves to set up. I have an updated nav 2001 and it detected no virus. So please help

2. rugrat

rugrat

Sounds like the battery on your motherboard is bad. This battery holds all settings such as time date etc... in the cmos (BIOS) when the system is powered down.

Let us know

3. somak_de

somak_de Thread Starter

but how can i check that. i am using this comp for last 2 years with no problem.

4. rugrat

rugrat

If you have a multi-meter, you can take the battery out and check the voltage. If not, the battery should be pretty cheap, just put in a new one and see. The battery is probably a coin shaped silver disk and should pop out easily. Some motherboards did have batteries that were soldered on. If you know what kind of motherboard you have, we can find out.

Let us know

5. dogbonz

dogbonz

It's the battery.

While they last 4+ years usually, sometimes you
    get a crappy one. It's about the size of a quarter,
    and bright silver.

Make sure you ground yourself on the computer's
    frame before touching anything. The battery is under
    a little clip, usually. Pop it out, head down to Radio
    Shack and get a match. It's a 3 volter.

Don't ya love it when you use "atomic time" and it
    adjusts 364 days and 7 hours ? ;)

6. somak_de

somak_de Thread Starter

sorry for being let.
    actually i dont want to check that battery on my own as i never did that before. mine is a mercury mother board. if it's the problem with the battery do i have to replacre that?
    o some thing else can be done ? i mean through setup

7. rugrat

rugrat

If the battery is the coin type, it is really easy to replace. It simply pops out and the new one pops in. You do have to replace it as, the battery keeps the time etc... up to date when the machine is off.

SeeYa

8. randyc

randyc

sounds like the CMOS batter is dieng. its a pretty easy operation if your comfortable inside of your computer, otherwise, just bring it to a local shop, they should only charge ya 10 bucks or so including parts. theres a TINY chance someone has planted a prank program in your computer too.

9. somak_de

somak_de Thread Starter

"theres a TINY chance someone has planted a prank program in your computer too."

what do u mean by that. how can i detect that. actually first i want to make sure that if i can solve it myself without opening the cpu.
    another thing is that sometime when i start my comp a black set up screen comes. it contains many tech specification and it says some where " cmos setting wrong....press f1 to enter set up
    press f2 to load default value and exit.

when i press f2 it says searching for boot record.....and it just stops there......
    f1 moves to set up and when i exit machine restart normally
    i think the problems are related

10. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

As others have indicated, it's the motherboard battery......if you need to keep re-entering the bios settings.....the battey is dead, and the computer isn't remembering what is there.

11. somak_de

somak_de Thread Starter

This is the message what I actually get while starting the machine
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    American
    Megatrends AMBIOS © 1999 American Megatrends Inc…
    KOB 810e FST Release 01/12/2001
    SDRAM serial presence detect present
    Pentium III – 866 Mhz
    Power supply type : ATX
    Checking NVRAM ..update ok!

131072 kb ok
    Trend ChipAwayVirus ® on guard
    Wait…

CMOS Settings Wrong
    CMOS checksum bad

Press F1 to run setup
    Press F2 to load default values and continue

©American Megatrends Inc.
    62-0112-001437-0101111-71595-WHITNEY-M766_2M-8712-M

12. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

The motherboard battery needs to be replaced.........

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118923

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice